What's new

upgrade JB 4.0.1 to newer JB

b0gd4n

Reaction score
Hello all.

I am new to this forum.

I have a iPhone 4 on Jailbroken AND unlocked ios 4.0.1 and baseband 01.59.00.

What I want is to upgrade the whatever the latest iOS can be unlocked on the iPhone 4.

I have tried to upgrade on both macOS and Windows. I used snowbreeze, redsnow, pwnagetool to make custom ipsw of 5.0.1, 5.1.1, 6.0.1 and then every time I try it to restore in iTunes (tried v 10 and v 11 on both windows and mac) I wither get the error 3194 or the message "this device isn't eligible for the requested build".

I followed all tutorials that I could stumble upon to fix the hosts file, even after doing so...same same.

I then tried using the snowbreze or the redsnow inbuilt tool to restore the phone..I always get Restore failed.

Could someone please let me know what I am doing wrong and please tell me how to do this properly?

Thanks!

Seeing that you haven't mentioned SHSH's (blobs) anywhere... it's safe to assume that you're not using them to restore to any of the above mentioned iOS versions. Other than 6.0.1... you absolutely need SHSH's for any iOS version you're wishing to restore to.

Do be careful though... the 1.59.00 iPhone 4 Baseband is the gold baseband to be on for Unlocking purposes. As I'm sure you're already aware... since you're using custom IPSW's to update with. :)

I am sorry...I am new to this things...new to iPhones actually as well (although very familiar with android customer rom flashing).

All the things that I have tried to do was from last night's online research.

I saw somethings about shsh but don't really know what that is and what to do with them.

All I want to do now is upgrade the iPhone to whatever the latest version of the iOS that CAN be unlocked.

Any indications?

Thanks for the quick reply!

You can update to iOS 6.0.1.... but you MUST preserve the 1.59.00 Baseband for your Unlock. Give me just a bit... I'll dig up one of our tutorials for ya.

Check out this tutorial from iClarified.com... iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone Without Updating the Baseband (Windows) [5.0.1] It's for JBing 5.0.1 on the iPhone 4... but the process is the same. You'll need to download the 6.0.1 IPSW as well... do you have a GSM or CDMA iP4?

Its GSM.

So I tried this before: downloaded stock 6.0.1, made a custom ipsw using the latest redsnow, put the phone in DFU and then in iTunes Options tapped the restore button and selected the NO BB ipsw....it gives me the error...I then also tried to modify the host file...but no success...I don't exactly know what it is to be done to the hosts file....show I add or remove the gs.apple things?

I have redsnow 0.9.11b4 and 0.9.15b3.

The first one when I select the 6.0.1 ipsw says it is unrecognised and the second one tell me that I can use redsnow restore now to do this. If I answer no, it then says "Come back soon/ redsnow will be updated for Custom ipsw support of FW 6.x in the near future!"
If I select yes, it makes me put the phone in DFU and then says restore failed.

EDIT: actually...wait a sec...I tried again with 0.9.15 and I went through with redsnow restore...and now its saying restoring system image...It did not ask me to put it in dfu mode...it said that it is going to recovery automatically... hope this works!

EDIT 2: ok..it did something...it said successful and then said that I have to use recovery fix to get out of the restore mode.

Ok...now I don't really know how to...whenever I try to put the phone in DFU mode, I can't seem to get it right now....it goes straight into recovery when I plug the cable in.

EDIT 3:...nevermind..managed to get into DFU....

Now i've got another problem....when I try to do the recovery fix...redsnow says: Missing keys.plist data from this build : Device iPhone 4
ecid: bla bla
build: iphone3,1_6.0.1_....

Last edited:
did I just mess it up? :(

Whenever I try to do jailbreak in redsnow...I get it into DFU...then it does some stuff there..then I get the error above (missing keys.plist).
Also when I try to do recovery fix..it just hangs at "Waiting for reboot"....I tried it 3 times....and left it waiting for 5-10 mins..nothing..

ok...I downloaded 6.0 and selected that in redsnow..and then did recovery fix..and worked.

I now have 6.0.1 with 01.59.00 baseband.

But now, when I try to install cydia with redsnow....it does stuff...it seems to ne working(shows that running pineapple) and when it finished...its the same...I can't find cydia anywhere...

Ok, now that I have managed to install 6.0. and keep the baseband, I am trying to unlock the phone.

So, I go into redsnow (0.9.15b3) > extra > select ipsw and select 6.0.
Then go back, and select jailbreak...go through the process...all works....and it says the it is a tethered jailbreak..and that I have to go back and select just boot.

When I do this...i get the missing keys.plist error again....

The phone starts normally...but no sign of jailbreaking...

If you don't see Cydia and you're getting the missing keys.plist error, then you're using the wrong IPSW. You're on iOS 6.0.1 with the 01.59.00 baseband. We'll start here.

Download the iOS 6.0, yes six point zero IPSW for the iPhone 4 GSM. Open up RedSn0w (0.9.15beta3). Go to Extras > Select IPSW, point it to the iOS six point zero IPSW that you just downloaded. Click back, and click jailbreak. Put your iPhone into DFU mode, proceed and check Install Cydia in the list of checkboxes. Wait for it to happen with the Pwnapple man and all the stuff being loaded in. At the end, do a "Just boot" by putting your iPhone into DFU mode and going to Extras > Just Boot in RedSn0w and it'll boot you up.

When actually selecting the IPSW to start the jailbreak, you won't have to use the custom IPSW since it's not wiping your iPhone, it's just putting another layer on it (or actually taking layers away from it)

If you don't see Cydia and you're getting the missing keys.plist error, then you're using the wrong IPSW. You're on iOS 6.0.1 with the 01.59.00 baseband. We'll start here.

Download the iOS 6.0, yes six point zero IPSW for the iPhone 4 GSM. Open up RedSn0w (0.9.15beta3). Go to Extras > Select IPSW, point it to the iOS six point zero IPSW that you just downloaded. Click back, and click jailbreak. Put your iPhone into DFU mode, proceed and check Install Cydia in the list of checkboxes. Wait for it to happen with the Pwnapple man and all the stuff being loaded in. At the end, do a "Just boot" by putting your iPhone into DFU mode and going to Extras > Just Boot in RedSn0w and it'll boot you up.

When actually selecting the IPSW to start the jailbreak, you won't have to use the custom IPSW since it's not wiping your iPhone, it's just putting another layer on it (or actually taking layers away from it)

Hey...thanks for the reply.

Well that is what I am doing...so:

I have 6.0.1 with baseband 01.59.00.

I have downloaded 6.0 (file name is
iPhone3,1_6.0_10A403_Restore), then went into redsnow...extra>selected this one(not 6.0.1).
Then went back and selected jailbreak...let install cydia ticked...next..entered dfu...done the stuff... pineapple on screen, then the phone booted into normal non jb mode.
Now, I clicked back (without selecting 6.0 ipsw again, just clicked back) and selected just boot...it asked me to entre dfu..done that...and here, after is says waiting for reboot I get the error:
missing keys.plist.

Am I missing something? :(
Really sorry for bugging you guys with this...I'm trying to make sense of it...thanks!

Oh forgot to mention the most important part. Restore it again using the custom IPSW that will preserve your 01.59.00 baseband then retry it again. I'm assuming that the jailbreak went through, just that Cydia wasn't installed.

Oh forgot to mention the most important part. Restore it again using the custom IPSW that will preserve your 01.59.00 baseband then retry it again. I'm assuming that the jailbreak went through, just that Cydia wasn't installed.

Ok...so I make a custom ipsw of which firmware?

When do I need to restpre the custom ipsw...and which method?

So....as I have the phone now, I restore the phone from a custom ipsw (which version of the ipsw) and then do the jailbreak thing?

Restore it to the custom 6.0.1. Then use the 6.0 when jailbreaking with RedSn0w