How-to? Upgrade 3GS iOS 4.1 JB to iOS 5 JB

fQxhUYESQmLDr

Reaction score
Hi!

I have an iPhone 3GS 32gb:

Modem Firmware: 06.15.00
Model: MC133B
Serial Number: **9425S13**

The phone is currently jailbroken and unlocked at iOS 4.1 (8B117).

How can I upgrade the phone to iOS 5.X, to a untethered-jailbreak-ready and unlock-ready state?

I have tried an iTunes standard update on a dozen different computers but I always get some sort of error; usually 'this device is not eligible'.

Please help!

Thanks,

Francis Drake

Unless you have your SHSH blobs saved for the firmware you are trying to restore, you will not be able to restore an older firmware.

Thanks for replying, but why would I want to restore an older firmware? I mean, I am trying to upgrade, right?

Unless you have your SHSH blobs saved for the firmware you are trying to restore, you will not be able to restore an older firmware.

Any firmware other than 5.1.1(which does not have an untethered jailbreak) is considered older firmware.

I get it! Thanks!

So (if I sacrifice and go untethered) what is the procedure in upgrading to 5.1.1 in my case?

To upgrade to 5.1.1 you would first need to make a custom firmware(which Im not even sure there is a tool to make a custom 5.1.1 firmware yet) and then you would need to shift+restore it in iTunes.