What's new

Updating 5s ver 8.3 to 10 - questions

pkoryn

Reaction score
My Iphone 5S is working great - no issues what so ever with version 8.3 on it. For security reasons, if nothing else, I guess I should probably update to the latest version? I keep reading about negative aspects of the latest OS - like no more swipe to open, etc. and am wondering if those of you who have made the upgrade might share some tips to make the transition a little easier? Things that you've found that can make it easier to use in the new OS. I'm sure it will be a bit of a learning curve from my current version to 10! I will do the update with my phone connected to my laptop through I tunes - that's the best way to do it, right? This is the first Iphone I've had so am still somewhat of a "newbie" when it comes to updating. Appreciate any help you can offer me.

Updating your iPhone to iOS 10x will more likely work without problems when you use iTunes, that's right. You'll need the latest iTunes version on your computer: 12.5.1.

With iOS 10, you'll have to press the Home button to be able to unlock your iPhone, instead of swiping to open. You can still use your fingerprint to unlock it, though, in case you've used this feature before.

Last edited:
I also have a 5s. I updated to the new OS immediately and have had no problems with it. The new features make it a worthwhile upgrade.

It seems to me that the home button is better built on the 5s than on previous models. There is no doubt that it is used substantially more than under previous versions of iOS, but it seems capable of taking the weight.

To add to @J. A.'s advice, if you go to Settings/General/Accessibility/Home Button, you can change the behaviour of the button to Rest Finger to Open. Then there is no need to actually press the button to open the phone. You can also press the lock button to wake it, so there is no need to press the button at all during waking, unlocking or opening.

KevinJS - Could you clarify something you wrote for me? I had read previously that you could change the behaviour of the Home Button through settings. My understanding was that the change would be you only had to rest your finger on the button instead of pressing it twice.

I'm confused by your last sentence " You can also press the lock button to wake it, so there is no need to press the button at all during waking, unlocking or opening." Do you mean that if I go into settings to change the behaviour of the home button - I can then just press the lock button (the one of the top of the phone, right?) and don't need to press the home button at all? I currently just press the lock button to wake the phone, then slide to unlock and put in my 4 digit code. What would the process be that you are mentioning?

You press the Home button to wake the iPhone, as before. To unlock it, you can use Touch ID (just put your finger on the Home button), instead of pressing the Home button and then entering the passcode. That was the process mentioned before.

To unlock your device that way, you'll have to set up a fingerprint, and then enable "Rest Finger to Open" in Settings - General - Accessibility.