What's new

jailbroken 4.3 > 4.33 update & backup restore questions

necrophyte

Reaction score
i got an iphone 4 32gb from my dad's company - since i live in another country i had to jailbreak it to make it work on my carrier. ive been using it with the company's sim card until now while i was there, but now i am back home and want to use it with my own sim card, for which i had to jailbreak it.

my present ios version is 4.3 (its the version that was installed when i got the phone) and now before inserting my sim card i would like to update the phone to version 4.3.3 (mainly because of some fixed bugs like the wrong gps location of photos taken, which i have experienced a lot).

i have jailbroken it using jailbreakme.com, and i would like to do the same with 4.3.3.

now my problem is that when i try to update ios using the iPhone3,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw file (shift-clicking on either update or restore inside itunes) i get error #3194.

i have read throughly through all possible solutions for this error, but i have neither installed anything on my pc that would modify my hosts file, nor i have any other issues mentioned.

so i assume i would have to restore the iphone back to vanilla 4.3, then update it through itunes to 4.3.3, then jailbreak it, and then restore the backup i would make before doing that - is this correct?

my second question is regarding the backup - is there any chance that something goes wrong or doesnt get restored properly after the update and jailbreak? ie. some itunes or cydia apps (just have 1 cydia app until now) corrupt, or game saves missing etc.

my third question is regarding the shsh backup - there is no "make my life easier" option inside cydia, so where can i do that in cydia? i dont really want do dig too deep inside the ios (ie. do too much hacking and install such apps), as although i am very very pc literate, i have no experience with ios except from a standard user's pov.

and my last question is regarding the messages from older nokia phones (n73 & 6600) - is it possible to transfer these to the iphone as messages? unfortunately nokia has some very dumb firmwares which even differ between each other that much that their backups arent compatible.. so my best solution until now was to dump the messages from a very old nokia (6600) to a text file :/ but maybe theres hope with the n73?

however, this last question is not that important, just the ios update and backup restore is.

thanks in advance!

since theres no answer yet, if this thread would rather fit in the jailbreak sub-forum, could a mod please move it there, so i dont have to repost it there?

thanks

Hello and welcome,

When you say you had to jailbreak it to be able to use the sim do you mean you installed ultrasnow from cydia to unlock it? I wasn't aware the 4.3 baseband was unlockable. Or was it just to bypass the connect to iTunes screen?

Your backup will only back up your stock phone. Any jaikbreak apps/tweaks will be lost. I've been using iPhones for over 3 years and never had any problems with corrupt backups.

There should be a make my life easier button either at the very top or bottom of he main page (I forget which) If you've already pressed it then you will have a list of saved SHSH's at the top in green, 4.3, 4,3.1, 4.3.2, 4.3.3 for example. If you haven't already got your 4.3.3 SHSH's then you won't be able to update to that firmware. You can't get SHSH's for 4.3.3 anymore due to the fact 4.3.5 is now out.

Can't help you with the texts I'm afraid...

Last edited:
i havent didnt install anything to unlock it, i was just told that i should jailbreak it because it is locked to the company's carrier, and i would like to put in my own sim card thats from another country's carrier.

so basically, i will only lose one app i installed through cydia? i havent got any tweaks. i have only installed photoalbums+, so this will be lost, and what about the pictures inside the custom folders created with it?

in cydia on top in green it says SHSH: iOS 4.3.5 - but i didnt store that myself :/ neither did i even download firmware 4.3.5 in itunes..
so does that mean that i cannot update to 4.3.3 at all?

i could try to just restore the phone to vanilla 4.3 and put in my sim card and see whether it will work unjailbroken. if it works i can update to 4.3.5. but i doubt that this will work.. and i really would like to have version 4.3.3..

thanks!

Well if you've been able to use two different networks sims without unlocking it then I would assume that you have a factory unlocked phone. If it is then there is no need to jailbreak it to use any sim.

Yes you will only loose the cydia app and everything with it. iTunes doesn't recognise the jailbreak so doesn't back anything up for it.

The good thing about the make my life easier button is that you only have to press it once and it gets every available SHSH's as soon as they become available. You don't have to do anything or even be in the firmware to get the SHSH's. You should have one for ios5 beta too. Given the fact that you only have the 4.3.5 SHSH's saved that's the only firmware you can update to.

If you wish to restore to your current firmware you will need to use ifaith. I have no experience with this myself so I cant tell you how it works...

i havent put in the other sim card yet, i just did the jailbreak when i got the phone since i thought i would have to do it anyway as soon as i would want to put the other sim card in.

i think i will try to restore the phone now to the unjailbroken state and put the other sim card in and see what happens. if it doesnt work, theres obviously nothing left except doing the jailbrak agan and using 4.3.. :(

Don't restore. It will force you to update you phone. Once you update there is no way back since you don't have your SHSH's...

oh, thanks, then i wont do it!

so basically i should stay at 4.3 now and maybe hope to be able to jailbreak ios5 when it comes out?

If you really want to keep the jailbreak then yes. iOS5 is a very major update. I wouldn't be waiting for a jailbreak for it...

yea well, unfortunately i have to keep the jailbreak as i probably cannot use my sim card else, and as you mentioned above trying to restore to see whether i may be able to use the sim card would force me to update and then if i cannot use the sim card im stuck with an iphone i only could use some 2 months per year when i am abroad :/

thanks!

Jailbreaking is not an unlock. Check your baseband (modem firmware) version. If its not 1.59.00 and your able to use two different network sims then your phone must be unlocked either from the factory or by the original network it was supplied on.

Settings > General > About > Modem Firmware...

ok, i seem to have misunderstood something.. now i put in my sim card into the iphone and it doesnt get network access.

so my only aim is to unlock it, and it seems that for ios4.3 and my baseband a software unlock isnt possible, hence i gotta have my carrier unlock it? no other way?? puh.. :eek:

ps: can i have my carrier here unlock it, or does it have to be the carrier the iphone is locked for? if so, i first have to travel there to get it unlocked.. :(
and if it gets unlocked by the carrier, is there any need for a jailbroken ios anymore, or can i then use the most recent ios all the time?

Last edited:
So it only works with one network then? If so given your baseband version the only was to unlock it is via the carrier. You will have to get in touch with the carrier it's locked to. There is usually a fee but once it's done you can use any sim you like, no need for ultrasnow unlock.

You shouldn't have to travel there. As long as you can phone them it shouldn't be a problem. Once the network says its been done just plug your phone into iTunes and it will get unlocked...

ok, thatd be great. yes, i just tried it and with my main sim card it doesnt connect to any network, just with the other sim card from the carrier it is locked to.

so then i could freely update to the newest firmware without any jailbreak?

and what about the warranty - i suppose theres no problem if it gets unlocked by the carrier?