What's new

I cant update my iphone 3gs ios from 4.3 to 6.1, tried everything I know, *help!

grandmagail

Reaction score
Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me update the IOS on my iphone. I have tried all the suggestions on apple support site. I currently only have 4.3.3 installed so I am not able to install some apps or update others.

Why do I receive this message when I try to update my iphone 3GS? "An error occurred when backing up this Iphone. {-37} Would you like to continue to update this iphone? Continuing will result in the loss of all contents on this Iphone." I know this error regards security but I uninstalled my 3rd party firewall program

Have the latest version of Itunes installed
Unplugged all devices from USB except mouse and keyboard.
Used USB in back of hard drive to plug in my iphone..
Temporarily disabled Antivirus program.
Added apple websites to trusted sites
Ran Diagnostics - Passed all steps
Checked hosts file - not blocking itunes from communicating with the
update server
Verified Ports 80 and 443 are not blocked

Can anyone help, please? What else can I try?

Thanks,

Gail

Hi GrandmaGail,

Welcome to the Forum!

I just noticed you posted this twice. I deleted the other so others can help you and not be confused seeing two of the same thing. It's also against the Forum rules to do so.

Thanks!

Ski~
iPhoneForums Moderator

Oh sorry,
I got a lot of views but 0 replies. There must be a lot of people interested in the topic but perhaps they dont know
the answer either as new members. I thought it might do better in the iPhone help forum rather than New Members.
I dididn't know how to delete the first one. I hope one of the more knowledable members will help us out.
Thank you so much. *By the way, Ski, I just clicked on your link to download the IOS 6
manual thru iBook, but once again, I ran into the problem of the app not being available unless I already have IOS 5! That is my whole problem! Can you help, please?

Last edited:
Oh sorry,
I got a lot of views but 0 replies. There must be a lot of people interested in the topic but perhaps they dont know
the answer either as new members. I thought it might do better in the iPhone help forum rather than New Members.
I dididn't know how to delete the first one. I hope one of the more knowledable members will help us out.
Thank you so much. *By the way, Ski, I just clicked on your link to download the IOS 6
manual thru iBook, but once again, I ran into the problem of the app not being available unless I already have IOS 5! That is my whole problem! Can you help, please?

No worries, just wanted to keep it all here so others can find you properly!

Are you putting the device into DFU mode before restoring.

I don't know what DFU mode is so I guess not. I just followed the instructions on apple support.
What is DFU mode & how do I change to that Mode? Thanks so much for replying!

Thank you so much. I'm going to try it today. Judging from all the views I got,
I'll bet you helped a lot of people.