What's new

Unresponsive screen

Leewong82

Reaction score
hi im new here and I’m having a problem. I have a iPhone X that I got new last November 2017. Last week while at work the screen would not respond to touch. I don’t have Siri on and I never backed up anything. I would like to get my info off my phone before I take it in just Incase they erase or give my a new one. I have pics in a app that saves them but it’s not linked to a online source. It’s just a app that came with a disk drive that I bought but never transfer them to the drive. I would like to find a way to save as much info as I can. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

Do you have Face ID set up on your iPhone? You can use that to unlock the iPhone and back it up to iTunes on your computer. You’ll have to turn off find my iPhone but that can be done with your computer by signing in to your iCloud account and turning it off from there.

Last edited:
Did you force restart your device? In some cases, this helped with a frozen screen on the iPhone X.

To force start your device, press the Volume Up button and release it, then also press and release the Volume Down button. That done, press and hold the Power button until you see the Apple logo. Let go of the button. Your iPhone will power up on it’s own.

Is your iPhone up to date? Apple released an update some time ago, addressing the iPhone X’s screen becoming unresponsive after a rapid temperature drop. So if force restarting your iDevice helped with the screen problem, make sure it’s running the latest software. And back it up immediately, of course. Just in case.

I have forever I have forced restarted my phone 6 times or more now and it will not weave touch on the screen. I can’t slide up to unlock my phone so it just has the unlock symbol but can not slide up. I bought the lighting to camera adapter and could unlock my phone that way but can’t do anything else. Once unlocked I plugged it into my computer but once iTunes sees it it asks to trust and I can’t click trust. I have never plugged it into my computer before today when I was able to unlock with a keyboard but now I’m stuck there. Is there a way to use the keyboard to maneuver and click on the apps or settings to open up the Bluetooth and connect a Bluetooth keyboard so that I can back up the pics and documents from that app. If I can do that it will be ok for then to fix or replace my phone. In just trying to save the important stuff. I have videos of my sons high school graduation on the app and some vacations pics that I would like to save.

It has iOS 11.4 but I don’t think it’s the latest that just came out a week or 2 ago.

Do you have Face ID set up on your iPhone? You can use that to unlock the iPhone and back it up to iTunes on your computer. You’ll have to turn off find my iPhone but that can be done with your computer by signing in to your iCloud account and turning it off from there.
When you use Face ID, you have to swipe upwards on the screen, to unlock it completely, if you’re not jailbroken. It doesn’t work exactly the same as Touch ID.

Last edited:
Here’s another suggestion: hold the iPhone between your hands for at least 10 seconds, and warm it up.

If the screen stays unresponsive, there’s nothing else you can do. Third party accessories won’t help unlocking or accessing the settings on your device. As you noticed, backing up to iTunes won’t be possible if you don’t trust the computer, and you can’t backup to iCloud when you can’t open the settings on your iPhone. Sorry!

Starting to think i made the right decision in buying the older iPhone8Plus, and not going with a new 10, when my old trusty iPhone6 could not be charged anymore.

I like having the mechanical button, i know i can push it and have something happen.