What's new

screen unresponsive - need a new LCD?

mgh

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a 3GS.

I have a problem that comes and goes, but is getting worse. My screen is unresponsive. Sometimes when trying to type, there are letters (certain spots on the screen) that will not respond. Now I am having trouble getting the slider bar to work to unlock the phone so I can use it.

I had a screen protector on it, so pulled it off, but that made no difference. I have since put another screen protector on it.

Is this maybe a hardware problem? Would replacing the LCD fix it?

I bought this phone used and unlocked, so taking it in for warrantee work is out of the question.

Any suggestions about what could fix this problem?

Thanks!

mgh said:
Hello All,

I have a 3GS.

I have a problem that comes and goes, but is getting worse. My screen is unresponsive. Sometimes when trying to type, there are letters (certain spots on the screen) that will not respond. Now I am having trouble getting the slider bar to work to unlock the phone so I can use it.

I had a screen protector on it, so pulled it off, but that made no difference. I have since put another screen protector on it.

Is this maybe a hardware problem? Would replacing the LCD fix it?

I bought this phone used and unlocked, so taking it in for warrantee work is out of the question.

Any suggestions about what could fix this problem?

Thanks!

I think ur best bet would be to check out around the internet for screens for the phone and compare prices for a new one. Second watch alot of disassembling videos on how to take apart ur 3gs and after watching it and seeing how its done if ur confident enough in urself to do this mini project go for it bro

Also if u dont want the hassle of trying to fix it im sure there are a few second hand cell phone shops that do repairs and what not on such phones. When taking that route be Aware they might charge you a stupid amount of money jus cuz they can

Gud luck getting it fixed and let us know what you decide to do

It look like hardware issue,but before you buy new one try to restore phone with iTunes ....if it still don't work then try to find same issue like you on Internet then decide what to do.

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

When I searched for similar problems, the only solution that ever was offered was to return the phone for warranty repair, which is not an option for me. Unfortunately I never found anyone that had actually solved the problem themselves. I will search around again.

I will also look into how to restore my backup without losing my jailbreak.

Had anyone here had a similar problem that they were able to solve? I am nervous about spending the $ when I am only guessing if the LCD is the actual problem.

Instead of buying a new LCD, I bought an aftermarket assembly that included the front frame, and glass/digitizer. Problem solved!

Thanks for the help here.

I have similar problem with my 4s- compared to my 3s the sensitivity is not as good. Sometimes i cannot move the volume on videos on screen because it wont respond.