What's new

Unlocking issue - help needed

sheefo

Reaction score
Hello, I have an iPhone 4 that was locked on a Canadian network (I live in Egypt). I managed to jailbreak and unlock it on 4.0 using a canadian sim card. I don't have access to that sim card anymore.

I'm wondering if I lost my unlocking during upgrading to 4.1 or 4.2 (when it's out) will I be able to get off the emergency screen using Recboot to be able to unlock it again?

or can I manage to keep my baseband during upgrading to 4.1 or 4.2?

Are there any risks?

Sorry If this is posted elsewhere, I wasn't sure and I don't wanna end up with a locked phone.

Thank you for your time.

you dont need to have the original sim to unlock it. you can have any sim in there any jailbreak/unlock it, when there is an unlock for that firmware.. canada sells them sim free though?

If you've not peserved your baseband when you upgraded to to 4.1 then you've already lost your unlock and there's no way to get it back at the moment. I think I'm right in saying 4.2 has a different baseband aswell...

If you've not peserved your baseband when you upgraded to to 4.1 then you've already lost your unlock and there's no way to get it back at the moment. I think I'm right in saying 4.2 has a different baseband aswell...

yes 4.2.1 has a different baseband, the official release is likely to be 4.2.1 now not 4.2...at least thats what is being said on the dev forums..

baseband for latest 4.2.1 release is 03.10.01 and has been for all the 4.2/.1 betas and gm's

but the hole on 4.1 might still be there in this next release

iPhone3,1_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw

yes 4.2.1 has a different baseband, the official release is likely to be 4.2.1 now not 4.2...at least thats what is being said on the dev forums..

baseband for latest 4.2.1 release is 03.10.01 and has been for all the 4.2/.1 betas and gm's

but the hole on 4.1 might still be there in this next release

iPhone3,1_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw

but the hole on 4.1 might still be there in this next release???? please can you explain me this ? what is the whole.? and if it stay there then will it be difficult to come out with the unlock ? thanx

It means the same hole (the way the unlock works) will possibly work with the new one also. Thats why it's not released yet because if we wait until 4.2 is out then everyone will be able to unlock 4.2.

The unlocking tool (ultrasnow) works for 4.1, but because is might work for 4.2 as well its not been released to the public so apple can get their hands on it and release a new baseband with 4.2 that wont work...

Last edited:
you dont need to have the original sim to unlock it. you can have any sim in there any jailbreak/unlock it, when there is an unlock for that firmware.. canada sells them sim free though?

I DID need a Canadian sim card to get past the emergency screen so I can jailbreak then unlock. that sim card is unavailable to me now since I don't live in Canada.

I read that I can use Recboot to kick off the emergency screen without the need for a certain sim card.

do you have any idea if that's true?

Thanks for your help.

So if i preserved my baseband, i wont need to unlock again after i upgrade to 4.1 or 4.2?

I DID need a Canadian sim card to get past the emergency screen so I can jailbreak then unlock. that sim card is unavailable to me now since I don't live in Canada.

I read that I can use Recboot to kick off the emergency screen without the need for a certain sim card.

Thanks for your help.

when i used to unlock i wold jailbreak it was with out the originlal sim, jailbreaking takes you past that emergency screen then you use ultrasn0w to unlock..

So if i preserved my baseband, i wont need to unlock again after i upgrade to 4.1 or 4.2?

wrong....

if you had saved your baseband from an earlier version you would of had a locked phone but you would of been able to use ultrasn0w to unlock. atm the new baseband has no unlock for 4.1 and 4.2.1 has a new baseband also

Thanks for your help.

when i used to unlock i wold jailbreak it was with out the originlal sim, jailbreaking takes you past that emergency screen then you use ultrasn0w to unlock..

wrong....

if you had saved your baseband from an earlier version you would of had a locked phone but you would of been able to use ultrasn0w to unlock. atm the new baseband has no unlock for 4.1 and 4.2.1 has a new baseband also

I see, so preserving the baseband is just for not getting u into the emergency screen, so you can jailbreak and unlock (when there is an unlock for 4.1 and 4.2). Thanks alot for the info, I appreciate it.

Thanks for your help.

wrong....

I see, so preserving the baseband is just for not getting u into the emergency screen, so you can jailbreak and unlock (when there is an unlock for 4.1 and 4.2). Thanks alot for the info, I appreciate it.

no it has nothing to do with the emergency screen, thats the activate part which limera1n hacktivates while jailbreaking, the baseband is for ultrasn0w unlock after you jailbreak