What's new

Unlocking iPhone 8 Plus with DoctorSim UMS

DarkPassenger

Reaction score
So I paid for my phone to be unlocked by doctorsim. So far theyve been very responsive and helpful. They've indicated that the 8 plus cannot be unlocked via IMEI, so they sent me UMS (unlock my sim) sticker thing for free. It came in the mail, its like a small piece of thin plastic with some contacts on it, and it gets placed under your sim card, which makes the sim card connect to it and THEN into the phone. This whole thing was never made clear by anyone so I decided to explain it.

Now,
The SIM I have I bought from Straight Talk, for an unlocked verizon iphone 6. It works perfectly with that phone. However, the Iphone 8 plus I inherited is from AT&T, or at least thats the SIM card that was left in it.
As per the instructions I inserted the SIM I had with the UMS into the iphone 8 plus, and was presented a menu, which was overlaying the iphone activation screen. I chose to edit the ICCID and put in the code provided on the website. I hit send and the screen simply disappeared and i finished setting up the iphone. It said "No Service". I restarted the phone, same deal. So I reset the phone completely while leaving the SIM and UMS in it, and when it came time to activate the phone the UMS menu did not come up, and now it is saying SIM not supported. The iPhone 8 Plus is not blacklisted or icloud locked, and Find My iPhone is turned off.
So did I do something wrong or do I need to get an AT&T compatible SIM from straight talk or what?

If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know.

Will the carrier the iphone is locked to not unlock the iPhone for you?

I don't believe so. It belonged to a friend of mine whom got the phone from the carrier. They paid the phone off, so it is not blacklisted, but they still owe them money for services, so they will not unlock the phone. They requested an unlock code once before and they denied.

AT&T won’t unlock it then, not until the bill is paid off.

AT&T won’t unlock it then, not until the bill is paid off.
I'm very well aware of that, which is why I chose doctorsim with their UnlockMySim product. Just wondering if anyone has had success with it

It’s not the SIM card that needs to be unlocked. The phone itself needs to be unlocked by the carrier. Like said, that won’t happen until you pay the bill of.

If the phone is paid off, but not the phone bill (two different things) the phone should be unlocked by the carrier. The phone is locked because the carrier usually gave discounts on the cost and made the difference in the bill over a service contract life. As long as the bill owed isn't prior to the end of the contract then it should not be an issue unlocking it.

If the phone is paid off, but not the phone bill (two different things) the phone should be unlocked by the carrier. The phone is locked because the carrier usually gave discounts on the cost and made the difference in the bill over a service contract life. As long as the bill owed isn't prior to the end of the contract then it should not be an issue unlocking it.
That is not how AT&T views their unlock policy.
  1. The device must not have been previously reported lost, stolen or associated with fraudulent activity.
  2. If you purchased your phone or tablet on contract or on an installment plan it must be fully paid off before it can be unlocked. If your device was activated with the service commitment or installment plan your account must be active for at least 60 days with no past due/unpaid balances.
  3. The device must not be active on a different customers AT&T account.
So AT&T won’t allow an unlock until the balance owed on the service commitment is paid off.

In Canada cell phone locking is now illegal and carriers have to unlock phones at no cost, whether or not you’re a customer.

That is not how AT&T views their unlock policy.
  1. The device must not have been previously reported lost, stolen or associated with fraudulent activity.
  2. If you purchased your phone or tablet on contract or on an installment plan it must be fully paid off before it can be unlocked. If your device was activated with the service commitment or installment plan your account must be active for at least 60 days with no past due/unpaid balances.
  3. The device must not be active on a different customers AT&T account.
So AT&T won’t allow an unlock until the balance owed on the service commitment is paid off.

Yep, that's what paid off means