What's new

SIM unlock - SIM not supported

elifflower

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have recently moved from the UK to USA so I decided to unlock my Three iPhone last week.

I filled out the unlock form online and received a text a few days later also from Three, directing me on how to unlock my device.

This directed me to a website called www.unlock.lucidcx.com/etc... which told me to follow these steps:

Remove old Three sim and then connect device to complete running iTunes. It then says I will receive an option to update my network settings - I cannot see this option at all.

It then says upon acceptance of your network settings, you divide will be unlocked from the network,

As I just mentioned I do not receive the update network settings option any my phone is definitely not unlocked as when I enter my new US T-mobile new sim, I get this message:

"The sim card you have installed is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is assigned to the activation server.

Please insert another sim from a supported carrier or request that this phone be unlocked by your carrier"

I called three today and she simply told me my phone IS now unlocked and to follow the steps above and also try the whole restore to factory settings, install new sim and then restore from iTunes back up however I cannot even get to the point of the iTunes back up because I get the "Sim card is not supported etc" message so cannot go another further.
I then called Apple Care who suggested restoring the iPhone and when it came up with "Hello", inserting the new SIM but still I get SIM not supported.

Also to note my iTunes is up to date.

Can anyone please shed any light on what I might do next?

Surely it shouldn't be a problem to use a T-mobile US sim card in a Three (now unlocked apparently) phone should it?

My boyfriends EE recently unlocked phone allows his T-mobile US sim card just fine!

Really hope someone can help!

Thanks,

Elle.

If you purchased your iPhone after January 1, 2014, from Three, it is automatically unlocked when you connect it to Wi-Fi, or to iTunes.

If your iPhone runs iOS 7 and later, connect it to iTunes and restore it. This will wipe all it's data, so make sure there's a backup.

That's what their site tells.

Which iOS is installed on your iPhone?

Hello,

My phone was bought after Jan 1st, 2014 so is/was locked.

I have iOS 9.3.2 installed on my iPhone.

Any ideas?

Well, that should mean it is unlocked. Have you plugged it into iTunes on your pc? As I recall, that's where you get the message saying it is unlocked.
The only other thing I can suggest is checking to see if the antenna bands on a iPhone used on Three compatible with T-Mobile in the US.