What's new

iPhone 4s staying on 5.0.1

ss_81

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I hope all is well. I have an unlocked iphone 4s and am having some trouble with putting in a new carriers sim. I get the following error: "Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit supported carrier's store to receive a replacement SIM card.". I am from Canada and traveling to the US for a few weeks so would like to use a local SIM. (T-mobile or AT&T)

At first I thought my iphone was locked but I contacted Apple tech support and second level support who both told me the iphone is indeed UNLOCKED and I should be able to use it with another carrier. He said though if I see this error it means I would need to restore my iphone for it work with the new carrier. When I want to switch back to my original carrier I would have to restore it yet again. I am on ios 5.0.1 and I dont want to upgrade to 5.1 or i'll lose my JB. Is there anyway for me to restore on the same 5.0.1?

Thanks

iphone 4S? no you can't. All you can do is to upgrade.

Hi guys,

I hope all is well. I have an unlocked iphone 4s and am having some trouble with putting in a new carriers sim. I get the following error: "Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit supported carrier's store to receive a replacement SIM card.". I am from Canada and traveling to the US for a few weeks so would like to use a local SIM. (T-mobile or AT&T)

At first I thought my iphone was locked but I contacted Apple tech support and second level support who both told me the iphone is indeed UNLOCKED and I should be able to use it with another carrier. He said though if I see this error it means I would need to restore my iphone for it work with the new carrier. When I want to switch back to my original carrier I would have to restore it yet again. I am on ios 5.0.1 and I dont want to upgrade to 5.1 or i'll lose my JB. Is there anyway for me to restore on the same 5.0.1?

Thanks
if your not jailbroken then of you restore you phone you will keep your unlock while upgrading to 5.1 which is told is a little more stable than 5.0.1. Apple stopped signing the older software so as of now that's your only choice. I'm guessing when you come to the states go to AT&T ad ask if you can use an AT&T card or buy a AT&T gophone or straight talk sim card to activate it since its an AT&T card because personally it sounds like its not unlocked. Do you know the original carrier?