What's new

Unlocking iPhone 3GS

brvaland

Reaction score
Hi,

I have upgraded my 3GS to 5.0.1 about couple weeks ago and now I need to unlock my phone.

iPhone: 3GS
iOS : 5.0.1 (9A405)
Firmware: 05.16.05

The phone was purchased from US and it is locked to AT&T.

Is there anyway I can unlock my phone?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

You would have to update to the iPad baseband (06.15.00) and then download and install Ultrasn0w in order to unlock.

I wouldn't bother there is a chance you will damage your GPS do above with knowledge that you will possibly do this

Sent from my  iPhone 4S using Tapatalk ☠

Regardless, it is the only option he has to unlock. BTW, it doesn't damage GPS, it just disables it since the iPad baseband doesn't support GPS.

Regardless, it is the only option he has to unlock. BTW, it doesn't damage GPS, it just disables it since the iPad baseband doesn't support GPS.

Thanks - if do update to iPad baseband then will I be able to go back to a 3GS Baseband in future i.e. Restore using iTunes, update to iOS 5.1, any dev team upgrade or downgrade for 3GS baseband.

Will I be permanently disabling GPS on my 3GS phone?

Thanks

Thanks - if do update to iPad baseband then will I be able to go back to a 3GS Baseband in future i.e. Restore using iTunes, update to iOS 5.1, any dev team upgrade or downgrade for 3GS baseband.Will I be permanently disabling GPS on my 3GS phone?Thanks
Once you're on the 6.15.00 iPad BB there's no way to change it. So in essence you're permanently disabling your GPS... sorry.

Is my best option to wait for dev team to release unlock for baseband 05.16.05?

I wanted to understand why we can upgrade to iPad baseband but can't upgrade to 3GS baseband.

By disabling GPS on the 3GS, does that mean i will be not be able to use maps and location services on the phone but rest of this will work fine.

Thanks

Is my best option to wait for dev team to release unlock for baseband 05.16.05?I wanted to understand why we can upgrade to iPad baseband but can't upgrade to 3GS baseband. By disabling GPS on the 3GS, does that mean i will be not be able to use maps and location services on the phone but rest of this will work fine.Thanks
Most likely there won't ever be a Unlock release for 5.16.05. The iPad BB is your only option for Unlocking... with that you'll lose location services to pin point yourself on a map.

Most likely there won't ever be a Unlock release for 5.16.05. The iPad BB is your only option for Unlocking... with that you'll lose location services to pin point yourself on a map.

Yes - I think i will have to unlock 3GS as i will be using the phone in UK and it is locked with US - AT&T network and will hope that dev team will come up with a fix for GPS in near future.

As I am newbie with unlocking and Jailbreak (I have never Jailbreaked any iphone as yet). So can someone please assist me with a step by step guide to Jailbreak & unlock by iphone 3GS.

Thanks

Yes - I think i will have to unlock 3GS as i will be using the phone in UK and it is locked with US - AT&T network and will hope that dev team will come up with a fix for GPS in near future.

As I am newbie with unlocking and Jailbreak (I have never Jailbreaked any iphone as yet). So can someone please assist me with a step by step guide to Jailbreak & unlock by iphone 3GS.

Thanks

Can someone please give me a step by step guide on how to unlock iphone 3GS?