What's new

Iphone 3GS unlock help

karlosthemarra

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having some trouble with my old 3GS and getting it unlocked. ( the trouble being the missis given me earache over her wanting her new phone like now lol)

It's a 3GS and is currently on Orange (uk)

It's on firmware 5.0.1 and the baseband 05.16.05.

Is this possible to unlock? If so how and could someone from this very helpful forum please tell me how?

(don't fancy paying the £20 fee from orange)

05.16.05 is not unlockable. You could update to the 06.15.00 iPad baseband but it will void your warranty and most likely ruin your GPS capabilities. Also, ultrasn0w is not compatible with 5.0.1 so you would need to downgrade your firmware as well.

Thanks for your help, I think I may just ask orange then? £20 isn't a lot really and if it means that the missus can use the iPhone it will be alright.

I know I could wait untill 5.0.1 is unlockabke and able to JB but as Noone knows when this is likely I dont know if it's worth waiting around?

Thanks again

I would pay the £20.. software unlock solutions are not reliable or worth using they are too much hassle imo

Hiya mate thanks but I got it done on the market in town for £15

They downgraded the software from 5.0.1 to 4 something, then jail broke then unlocked! Just can't update it now we've been told but not all is lost, the missus is happy with with and I've got a 4s ;)

Hiya mate thanks but I got it done on the market in town for £15

They downgraded the software from 5.0.1 to 4 something, then jail broke then unlocked! Just can't update it now we've been told but not all is lost, the missus is happy with with and I've got a 4s ;)

you where ripped off.. a process that takes a few minutes using free tools..

plus now you have to stick to 4XX firmwares and cant upgrade, you just made things worse imo when for an extra £5 it would of been factory unlocked officially and would of made life much easier..

Unless of course your wife does not upgrade firmware or anything but at least its unlocked :)

Last edited: