What's new

Unlocking an Iphone 4 IOS 5???

aleksiabug

Reaction score
I recently purchased an Iphone 4 and it was running on 4.3.3. and this weekend i took it to get unlocked. It turns out that the place where I took it ended up updating to ios 5 without me knowing and told me they couldnt fix it because "the Sim card wasnt fitting." When I took it to someone else they told me that they couldnt unlock it because its running on IOS 5. Can my phone be unlocked or can it "downgrade" the update?

even if it was on ios 4.3.3 you would not be able to unlock it since it was on stock ios 4.3.3.. there is no way to use software unlocks atm for you. You would need to look into gevey sim or another sim solution for now until we see a new ultrasn0w that might support newer basebands

Once you have upgraded to the iOS5 baseband there is no way to downgrade it back to an unlockable baseband. At this time there is no way to unlock an iPhone which has been updated to stock iOS5 firmware, not by software or hardware.

I upgraded two days ago to iOS 5 and it only took me a couple hours to completely regret it. I managed to downgrade yesterday to 4.3.3. Using my iMac and redsnow/ pwnage I can't tell which one worked cuz it took 5 hours of trying the same thing over and over. Redmondpie has a great little walkthrough on downgrading. Really happy it worked. iOS 5 isn't that good compared to the freedom that JBing gives you.

The only way to downgrade firmware is to create a custom firmware file and you must have the SHSH key saved for the firmware you are downgrading to. Also, downgrading firmware will not downgrade baseband.

Not really, I've already unlocked several devices on iOS5 for my friends. Just have to preserve baseband when you update and you'll be fine.

Jmills87 said:
Not really, I've already unlocked several devices on iOS5 for my friends. Just have to preserve baseband when you update and you'll be fine.

If you do the upgrade and preserve the baseband does it matter when you turn off the phone?

If you do the upgrade and preserve the baseband does it matter when you turn off the phone?

Yes because currently the only ios 5 jailbreak is tethered. so when you reboot you would need to re jailbreak the device every time, you are better waiting for an un tethered jailbreak.

Is there still a website that you can go to on the iPhone web browser to install Cydia?