What's new

Unlimited Tethering iPhone and iPad App Approved by Apple

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
3707-itether.JPG

9to5 Mac reports today that Apple has taken the unusual step of approving an unlimited tethering app, which can (at the time of writing!) be purchased in the App Store for $14.99. The application is called iTether, and appears to be very uncomplicated to use. Apparently all you have to do, after forking over your $14.99 and downloading and installing the app to your iPhone, is then install the Mac or PC application, which is available from tether.com, then plug in your USB and hey presto, you should then be tethering to your heart’s content. The speed of your connection will be determined by the speed of your usual network connection, of course. The app is already getting great reviews in the app store, but who knows how long it will be around, so best not waste any time downloading it if tethering without having to jailbreak your device appeals to you.

Click here to download iTether for $14.99 (unless Apple pull it from the store!): App Store - iTether

Source: Apple allows unlimited tethering iPhone application into the App Store | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

link appears to be down a review in the app store for this says do not download this link seems to be down just read this under reviews for this app on itunes

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

I don't know about the iOS version of this app, but I have been using the BlackBerry version of the app for 3 years now and it works very well. It is simple to set up and simple to run. I have never had an issue with it, and the company has their website set up to allow you to switch phones if you own the app already. At least with BlackBerry phones. I have had 4 different phones since purchasing the app and a quick update of the SN was enough to allow me to use the app on a new phone.

The other thing too, the company often does 50% sales on their apps. You can take the gamble that the app will still be available long enough for them to run a sale, or get it now. Either way, I highly recommend this product. And no, I don't work for them.

And BTW, it is still in the App Store at this time, I just downloaded it.

Deckyon said:
The other thing too, the company often does 50% sales on their apps. You can take the gamble that the app will still be available long enough for them to run a sale, or get it now. Either way, I highly recommend this product. And no, I don't work for them.

And BTW, it is still in the App Store at this time, I just downloaded it.

what are the benefits of this app if i download this will this make any difference to an iphone 4 running 5.0.1

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

It is a gateway for tethering your laptop to the internet through your iPhone's data connection without adding Tethering to your data plan. go to http://tether.com to get the full details and ask specific questions there.

I have downloaded and tested on my work WinXP machine and my MBP and it works flawlessly. You run a piece on your laptop and the app on your phone (connected via the sync cable) and it works. I bet BT connections will be coming soon - it already works over BT on Blackberry.

Apple pulled it from App store ;( For the ones who bought it woot woot! For the ones that missed out, better luck next time!

Got app from app store earlier today, but can not get software for my PC to download from tether.com. Sent email to tether.com/ support for help on download.

I have a feeling their servers are swamped from the sheer number of people who went and got the Tether app and needed the PC side. I have them downloaded, just need to be patient.

http://tether.com/pi/9083383

for the windows PC version of the tethering software.

At of 2:30 pm, the app doesn't exist on the app store, I'm thinking that AT&T pitched a fit when they saw their extra $30/month for tethering disappear in smoke (tether is a one-time fee to purchase the software license, then you can use it forever...unfortunately, if you own a copy for your blackberry or android, you can't transfer the license to a phone on a different platform. I had it on blackberry, which I dumped a couple months ago for my 4s, and they said I can't transfer it, but could transfer it to another blackberry device)

Got the PC file from tether.com Facebook page. Downloaded in seconds. Itether worked great after installing PC companion.

Got the PC file from tether.com Facebook page. Downloaded in seconds. Itether worked great after installing PC companion.

Yes, it requires the iPhone app as well as the Win/OSX app to be on the PC. They are the conduit for the data to travel between. Been like that since the application hit the Blackberry so many years ago. But yes, it works brilliantly.

As an edit - here at work, we recommend it to users who are denied a tethering plan through the business. "We" still have unlimited data plans, but only a select few brass receive tethering. Tether application on the BB and PC work wonders.