What's new

Unknown Error (-50)

OldGaffer

Reaction score
Yesterday I drove over my new iPhone 6 after unknowingly dropping it in a puddle. So I have resurrected my iphone4S but am unable to sync it with iTunes. I keep getting the 'Cannot Sync Unknown Error (-50)' . This is on a Mac. Is the phone too old?

Welcome to iPhoneForums, OldGaffer!

Your iPhone is not too old. It should be possible to sync it with iTunes.

Which software version are you running on your Mac?
Make sure iTunes on your Mac is up to date.
What's the software version on your iPhone? The most recent one for the 4s is 8.4.1. In case it's not up to date: try updating your iPhone, before you do anything else.

Surprisingly this morning the phone decided to allow itself to be synced! But to answer your questions, I am running iTunes 12.2.2 on my Mac and the phone says it is up to date but the version is 7.1.2

Surprisingly this morning the phone decided to allow itself to be synced! But to answer your questions, I am running iTunes 12.2.2 on my Mac and the phone says it is up to date but the version is 7.1.2
Are you sure you don't have an iPhone 4 instead of an iPhone 4s? The latest iOS version for the iPhone 4 is iOS 7.1.2. Go to this site and check the specifications of the iPhones 4 and 4s and compare them with your iPhone. Identify your iPhone model - Apple Support

Are you sure you don't have an iPhone 4 instead of an iPhone 4s? The latest iOS version for the iPhone 4 is iOS 7.1.2. Go to this site and check the specifications of the iPhones 4 and 4s and compare them with your iPhone. Identify your iPhone model - Apple Support
Thank you for that. Apparently it is a 4. I was mislead by the S at the end of the serial #. It is odd that I got the -50 error over and over yesterday but today it synced with no issues.
Thanks for the replies

I'm glad everything's working now. If you have any more problems, don't hesitate to come back.