What's new

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak IOS5 using redsn0w for beginners

no it does not though, just run redsn0w and you dont need to point it at any firmware to un tether jailbreak 5.0.1

I tried that on my new replacement phone that I just got. I tried to JB like 5 times following the tutorial and it just kept booting the phone and never taking me to the screen where you choose to install Cydia. As soon as I went to Extras first, pointed to the 5.0 ipsw, THEN it booted to the install Cydia screen. I'm using redsn0w_win_0.9.10b1, which is the most current, right?

lennie paz said:
The tutorial should be updated to say you need to click on "extras" first and point to the 5.0 ipsw first.

You must be using an old version of redsn0w. The tutorial was updated as you no longer have to do this...

I tried that on my new replacement phone that I just got. I tried to JB like 5 times following the tutorial and it just kept booting the phone and never taking me to the screen where you choose to install Cydia. As soon as I went to Extras first, pointed to the 5.0 ipsw, THEN it booted to the install Cydia screen. I'm using redsn0w_win_0.9.10b1, which is the most current, right?

are you on a A5 device or non A5? ie are you using the iphone 4S or another iphone

then read this... http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

am not sure why you are trying to point redsn0w at the 5.0 .ipsw!.. forget trying to do that!

just use redsn0w from the dev team blog and run as normal and it will un tether 5.0.1.. WITH OUT POINTING REDSN0W TO THE 5.0 .IPSW!

then read this... Dev-Team Blog
am not sure why you are trying to point redsn0w at the 5.0 .ipsw!.. forget trying to do that!

just use redsn0w from the dev team blog and run as normal and it will un tether 5.0.1.. WITH OUT POINTING REDSN0W TO THE 5.0 .IPSW!

I'm using redsn0w_win_0.9.10b1. Could that be why I need to point to the ipsw?

wrong version! read the first post on the dev team blog and you will see the relevant file you need
either one of them files will do!

Thank you. I think redsn0w_win_0.9.10b1 was the very first untethered JB that was released that I downloaded last week. Think I should leave redsn0w_win_0.9.10b1 on my phone, or upgrade to the b3 version? Would I have to restore my phone to install b3, or can I install it over the b1 that I installed already?

well b3 has bug fixes so I would highly recommend always using the latest version, you can run the jailbreak over a previous jailbreak but be sure to untick "install cydia" if you have that on your springboard from the last jailbreak, but since you had you where having problems, thats why I mention it.

unless of course you are having no problems at all then there is no need to. but I personally had a tone of cydia errors that where a cause of the previous jb according to tweets from the devs and fixes are in b3

well b3 has bug fixes so I would highly recommend always using the latest version, you can run the jailbreak over a previous jailbreak but be sure to untick "install cydia" if you have that on your springboard from the last jailbreak, but since you had you where having problems, thats why I mention it.

unless of course you are having no problems at all then there is no need to. but I personally had a tone of cydia errors that where a cause of the previous jb according to tweets from the devs and fixes are in b3

I just tried to install b3 and the same thing happened. I clicked on JailBreak, followed the instructions that followed, and the phone just reboots to the apple logo. I bet if I go to Extras first, and point to the ipsw, then it will work. You are saying I don't need to do that though,right?

no you dont do that.. try running in admin mode? or using the last link and make sure redsn0w does not have it set to point at the 5.0 ipsw

no you dont do that.. try running in admin mode? or using the last link and make sure redsn0w does not have it set to point at the 5.0 ipsw

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but do I need to have iPhone3,3_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw on my PC somewhere for it to work?

lennie paz said:
I hope this isn't a dumb question, but do I need to have iPhone3,3_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw on my PC somewhere for it to work?

Yes Put it in your desktop or download section where i have mine

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net