What's new

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak IOS5 using redsn0w for beginners

I think that is where my problem lies...It doesn't show up as ispw. and when i click on it it just keeps ging to the next piece of it, and nothing will "open" it just goes from file to file to file.

I'm not sure i guess what the down load is supposed to ook like once it is downloaded. and it comes over zipped
so am i supposed to unzip with something, place it in a specific folder.

it down loads to my documents, and then i click on extract....is that correct?

Sounds like you are using Windows and Internet Explorer. It is notoriously useless when it comes to these things. It is renaming the IPSW file to a ZIP file for no good reason at all. Either, rename it yourself back to having a file extension of IPSW, OR use a proper browser to download it, such as Chrome, which will not interfere with the file at all. Whatever you do, DO NOT unzip the file.

Last edited:
yes i am using windows. I will try Chrome, and see what happens. Wish me luck!! thank you so very much!!

iamifonenut said:
yes i am using windows. I will try Chrome, and see what happens. Wish me luck!! thank you so very much!!

Definitely use Chrome when downloading ipsw files... it saves them in the proper format for later use.

help..trying to jailbreak at the moment and i am been asked for ipsw file..how do i load this..

help..trying to jailbreak at the moment and i am been asked for ipsw file..how do i load this..

Read the first post where it says NOTE. It provides you instructions on where to download the file from (the link is just above the note), and how to provide it to redsn0w. Just follow the instructions.

f4780y said:
Read the first post where it says NOTE. It provides you instructions on where to download the file from (the link is just above the note), and how to provide it to redsn0w. Just follow the instructions.

tried that everything is done still not recognised it says running 5.0.1 dfu mode done right and everything try again tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

tried that everything is done still not recognised it says running 5.0.1 dfu mode done right and everything try again tomorrow

Yes, but if you are jailbreaking 5.0.1, you must download the 5.0 firmware (DIFFERENT from 5.0.1). Make sure you are doing that! redsn0w does not recognise the 5.0.1 firmware. Only the 5.0 version. Read the NOTE again! :D

f4780y said:
Yes, but if you are jailbreaking 5.0.1, you must download the 5.0 firmware (DIFFERENT from 5.0.1). Make sure you are doing that! redsn0w does not recognise the 5.0.1 firmware. Only the 5.0 version. Read the NOTE again! :D

thanks i will try AGAIN

can someone show me which tutorial shows me how to unjailbreak the phone?

Last edited:
If my iPhone4 is upgraded to iOS 5.0.1 via iTunes.
Then I'll just have to go through the second step of the process that is going to 'Extras' and mount the iOS 5.0 and just complete the process?

If my iPhone4 is upgraded to iOS 5.0.1 via iTunes.
Then I'll just have to go through the second step of the process that is going to 'Extras' and mount the iOS 5.0 and just complete the process?
Correct... as well as every time you need to "Just Reboot" your device, as outlined w/ #8.

I think I must be nooning out here. I have iPhone 4 gsm freshly loaded a backup of my data on a fresh install of ios5.01. (I upgraded from a jb iOS 4.3.3)
I have the correct ios5 ispw file downloaded and saved in a convenient location.
I think I followed the instructions absolutely correctly. Pointed redsnow the the right file then clicked jailbreak. Had a lil while Cydia.
That's as far as my phone goes.

I try to 'just boot' for the past 5! hours. It goes through. I get a pineapple..

Yay! Then I get an apple, followed by a spinning circle, followed by an apple, this circle repeats. While randomly vibrating mind you.

I think I load up via another dfu mode (unsure if that's what it is, I just hold down buttons till something else comes up :S)

Open phone and I still have white Cydia.

What am I missing? Any help would be lovely. Trying not to panic.

I miss my tweaks :(