What's new

Tracking a iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

bad_ass_lightning

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a way to track a iPhone? I've seen all of the apps that don't work. Is there any thing out there that will work. Thanks

No offense Dannyboy, we tried the ATT family tracking service and it kinda stinks for what you have to pay. If you are willing to pay for a service to track your phone or a family members, then I Highly recommend the MobileMe service from Apple. The interface is much improved with a recent update and you can track another phone using an app for either iPhone, iPad or web site on a pc. Plus you get all the other services- email, 20gb cloud storage (also accessible with an app), online gallery, calendar and a couple other feature. Check it out, at $69 a year, I believe it's cheaper than ATT. The service is supposed to be for finding your phone if you lose or misplace i. In the case that happens you log into you MobileMe account and from there you can have it sound an alarm to guide you to the phone, display a message (like "give back my phone you thieving b.....d! :) ), lock it so know one can access your data or worst case- remotely wipe all data and of course you can track it's location, which uses goggle maps. Say what you will of my parenting, but we have it covertly installed on my sons iPhone, lol. He has yet to get busted, but it's good piece of mind for us.

One thing to keep in mind and a very obvious detail, the phone has to be on and have a signal. Same goes for ATT's service.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Your alternative to MobileMe like DannyBoy mentioned is AT&T Family Map. $9.99 per phone or $14.99/month for up to 5 phones in your family plan.

Very informative itazm0n! I've saw the mobileme option when I ordered my phone but I didn't click on the link to see what it was. I think that would definitely be worth it. I am an avid bowler, and thieves are always on the lookout to steal phones from tables at my local bowling alley! While this doesn't ensure I will get it back, it heightens my chances I suppose.

I checked out mobile me and the only thing I dislike is that it asks for a authorization to who you are trying to track. It kinda defeats the purpose.

I checked out mobile me and the only thing I dislike is that it asks for a authorization to who you are trying to track. It kinda defeats the purpose.
If youre looking for an app that will find any iPhone to track anonymously, I don't think such thing exists... legally and it not what the MobileMe service proposes to do. With MobileMe, once you set it up on the phone you want to track, it never asks for a log in or authorization on the phone itself. You will have to enter in the user and password of the mobileme account linked to the phone at the tracking page though.

Very informative itazm0n! I've saw the mobileme option when I ordered my phone but I didn't click on the link to see what it was. I think that would definitely be worth it. I am an avid bowler, and thieves are always on the lookout to steal phones from tables at my local bowling alley! While this doesn't ensure I will get it back, it heightens my chances I suppose.
Whoa, that's a bit of a risk to set it down :eek:. Another thing you might want to check out if you have to leave it unattended like that are some of the motion sensing/detection alarms. I had one that would sound off if activated and the phone detected it was being picked up or moved by an amount specified. I forget what it as called- MotionX or something. A quick search in the app store could find some I'm sure. Good luck!

Yea I know. I mean, I won't leave it out if no one else is at my table. But you know theives, try to make distractions and anything else to get whats yours!!! And with all the reports of the glass breaking so easily, I'd be scared to keep it in my pocket.

But the type of program that you just advised of sounds interesting to check out too. I think I'm going to like this app store thing. Coming from the Blackberry Storm, I had an app world available to me, but I had quickly maxed out the number of apps that I could download to the handset. That is one of the main reasons that I am coming to the iphone4.

Once a jailbreak comes out, you can use Cylay. I have it on 5 3GS's now and it works great and costs pennies!

what about mobile me? that works but costly which is why i never got it when offered

Tried this? For 59 p ATM

8a0381eb.jpg

Looks pretty good

Status
Not open for further replies.