What's new

There ARE tracking Apps

I know I have seen a few posts here in the past by members asking if stealth apps could be applied to track someone, and IIRC the answers were always "no". However, there apparently ARE apps that do so, and it's a bit unnerving. Seems that everyone is watching your every move nowadays!

Congress considers ban on smartphone tracking apps | PCWorld

And how do these tracking apps work? Don't you need to first install a tracking app on a device before that device can be tracked? If so, wouldn't a lock code thwart such an attempt?

Most jailbreaking techniques can bypass lock screens which means you can jailbreak, install app and then return to user without them knowing.

Now standard iOS devices can be locked and that would thwart it. But if I was going to hazarrad a guess, less than 50% of people lock their phone. And for the people that do, their signifcant other probably knows the code.

The real issue is not the tracking apps that will be considered illegal. Its the legal apps that track users. People install apps every day without realizing the implications to their privacy. Heck Android and iOS both have disclaimers, if you don't opt out, that the device will send back technical data about the device including its current and past locations.

Most jailbreaking techniques can bypass lock screens which means you can jailbreak, install app and then return to user without them knowing.

Now standard iOS devices can be locked and that would thwart it. But if I was going to hazarrad a guess, less than 50% of people lock their phone. And for the people that do, their signifcant other probably knows the code.

The real issue is not the tracking apps that will be considered illegal. Its the legal apps that track users. People install apps every day without realizing the implications to their privacy. Heck Android and iOS both have disclaimers, if you don't opt out, that the device will send back technical data about the device including its current and past locations.

This seems a very good argument on the importance of a lock code.

This seems a very good argument on the importance of a lock code.

And yet, I don't lock my phone. Go figure. LOL.

Of course I backup my phone almost every day and can remote wipe it within minutes of knowing I have lost positive control. So I consider that good enough. It also helps that I don't put anything on my phone that I wouldn't have an issue showing my grandmother or having a law enforcement official looking thru. I treat the the phone like I treat the internet in general. Never put anything on it that can haunt me.

It also helps that I don't put anything on my phone that I wouldn't have an issue showing my grandmother or having a law enforcement official looking thru. I treat the the phone like I treat the internet in general. Never put anything on it that can haunt me.

Excellent advice!