What's new

iphone 3G tracking

david6789

Reaction score
Good morning.

I just bought my daughter a used iphone 3g. Unfortunately we could not afford the newest/best one but I think its a good start.

As a parent I may come upon the day were I would need to track my daughters phone for various reasons. I would like to have the ability to track my daughters iphone. We have AT&T as our carrier and they have an AT&T FamilyMap feature but its might only accurate (from the disclaimer) upto .9 miles. And it says it sends the phone a message that its is being tracked (this could defeat the purpose in some situations).

Is there a feature or app or service that I can track my daughters iphone from my personal or work computer?

I did a search on this forums and read alittle on icloud. But I am a dummy when it comes to iphones.

If someone could educate me on the options, pros, cons, I would really appreciate it.

PS I do not have a smart phone myself.

Just ask your daughter where she's at and she will tell you. Spying is illegal unless you agree someone else can spy you too. Seems like you got her the iPhone in order to spy her position, thing which will just destroy father daughter relationship pretty soon. Sorry I can't help.

I'm a mother and I'm sorry but I feel if my daughter age 16 is NOT home on time i will use that find my iPhone app an drag ER home and she's fully aware of the app (meaning she CAN remove location) lol but she leaves it in cause it's for the phones protection.
I don't """snoop"" I trust her and she tells the truth which is sweet ;-)

There are many free gps iPhone tracking and you don't need an iPhone for that family find thing and I don't use it

It's great to have apps, we both discussed GOD forbid she was hurt or taken and needs me... Or police to find her... U never know:)
Good IUCK get latest OS update w icloud and use the find iPhone app:)

You don't have any other IOS devices? Just hers?
There is mobile locate which is our phone insurance ... Which is Amazingly accurate but it's set to check every half hour..
We both set passcodes in our phone I know hers but only myself.
She n I have a great relationship I haven't """snooped""" except to see how well the app was working for lost or stolen device.

That's why I'm interested in and I have it in all my iOS and u cannot access that find iPhone without another iOS device

bab2010

Actual since my daughter is underage, telephone service is under my name, and the phone was purchased by me it is not illegal.

Some of the "various reasons" I mentioned before could include but are not limited too:

1. Shes lost and needs help
2. The phone is lost or stolen (iphones don't actually grown on trees, they are expensive)
3. I need to know where my daughter is.

"Spying" (as you said) and "Tracking" (as I said) are to totally different things. And if I wanted to spy on her I would, I simply would like to have the ability to find and/or assist if needed or wanted.

david6789 said:
bab2010

Actual since my daughter is underage, telephone service is under my name, and the phone was purchased by me it is not illegal.

Some of the "various reasons" I mentioned before could include but are not limited too:

2. The phone is lost or stolen (iphones don't actually grown on trees, they are expensive)

"Spying" (as you said) and "Tracking" (as I said) are to totally different things. And if I wanted to spy on her I would, I simply would like to have the ability to find and/or assist if needed or wanted.

I agree w you I don't see a thing wrong w that!
I personally would WANT to know where my kid is:-/ always !!!

david6789 said:
bab2010

Yea it's no way ILLEGAL to look for your child, or Want to know where your child is at all times!
Of course when they get older and have their own phone bill lol that's another story :)
I'd be pissed if my mom was tracking me lol but I have a boring life so shed be wasting her time :) plus I'm 40 lol
Quite a difference ;-)

Yea it's no way ILLEGAL to look for your child, or Want to know where your child is at all times!
Of course when they get older and have their own phone bill lol that's another story :)
I'd be pissed if my mom was tracking me lol but I have a boring life so shed be wasting her time :) plus I'm 40 lol
Quite a difference ;-)

It's illegal to track someone without him/her knowing it. And that's why your AT&T Familly Map will send an SMS to notify who is being tracked.
Find my iPhone doesn't send any notification because you are tracking your own phone when it's already lost, you don't track someone else or someone else iPhone with your find my phone account, so no notification is needed there. Find my friend send a notification to who is being tracked.
Just like recording a call conversation without your contact knowing about he/she being recorded is illegal, tacking one without his/her permission is illegal as well, the law doesn't care why or for what reasons you are tracking, the law want you to inform your contact that you are tracking him/her.

bab2010 said:
It's illegal to track someone without him/her knowing it. And that's why your AT&T Familly Map will send an SMS to notify who is being tracked.
Find my iPhone doesn't send any notification because you are tracking your own phone when it's already lost, you don't track someone else or someone else iPhone with your find my phone account, so no notification is needed there. Find my friend send a notification to who is being tracked.
Just like recording a call conversation without your contact knowing about he/she being recorded is illegal, tacking one without his/her permission is illegal as well, the law doesn't care why or for what reasons you are tracking, the law want you to inform your contact that you are tracking him/her.

If what you're saying us true, it would be illegal for business owners to put tracking devices in company cars.

The device is the parent's, he/she can choose to track it if they wish. Obviously the kid will know she's could be tracked at any time.

If what you're saying us true, it would be illegal for business owners to put tracking devices in company cars.

The device is the parent's, he/she can choose to track it if they wish. Obviously the kid will know she's could be tracked at any time.
It's their company, it's their cars, and they can put tracking devices on their cars so no problem with that. But you can't buy me a car, give it to me as a gift, and put a tracking device on it without notifying me about it no matter what you intention is good or bad. But if you notify me about having a tracking device on the car while giving me the car, and i agree on that, then what are we discussing about?

The tracking devices which Iphone provide in the handsets are so effective and very useful for the users. By the tracking devices people can track the other cell no. while they needs. The another useful thing is to find the lost iphone with the help of tracking device.