What's new

considering picking up 1st iphone-unlocked 3G-advice

mgh

Reaction score
Hello All,

My step-daughter let me use her old touch (2nd generation I believe), and it really blows away my old G5. I would like to get to carrying phone and music in one device, so here I am.

From what I have read, one of the main differenced between iphone 3 and 4 is the better display on the 4. Is that correct?

Also, from what I have read, the resolution of this old touch is the same as the iphone 3, so would I expect them to look the same?
I think the display on the touch is fine, so if they look the same, I think I will be OK.

So I am looking at an unlocked 3G or 3GS (my carrier is T-Mobile, no data plan, and do not want to go with a data plan).
I'm certain the 4 is a nicer device, but I am looking at a much lower price when looking for a used 3.

Thanks for any advice.

I wouldn't get a 3G but a 3GS is perfectly ok. The 3G is getting outdated and even apple have stopped updating the firmware for it now.

There are big differences between the 3GS and the 4G beside the screen. When you compare the two different screens you will notice a huge difference. Also it has a much faster processor, improved camera with HD video recording and playback to name a few.

Go down to your local store that sell iPhones (AT&T or Verzion if your in the USA) and ask to have a look a each and see which one you like best...

I would most definitely get the 3GS or greater. The 3G can get slow when scrolling through emails if you have a large inbox. I dont know about you but this would frustrate the heck out of me.

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

I can find a few GS models, most around $300 used. Not seeing so many 4's for sale, and when they are listed, they are over $500.

Searching through google I am finding conflicting information on whether it is possible to unlock the iphone4 yet. Can anyone comment on that?

Probably moot anyway, as I am unable to spend that kind of money right now.

Thanks again.

If you thinking of buying an unlocked iPhone I would suggest getting a factory unlocked one.

You can get unofficially unlocked 4G's but it's hard to tell if people are telling the truth on the web. Also it can be easy to lock them again for a long time then your stuck...

Also it can be easy to lock them again for a long time then your stuck...

I understood they get locked again when updating, is that correct? Will I always have the choice to not upgrade? In other words, I can turn off any automatic updates?

I guess I'll have to re-think this, a new factory unlocked 3GS is $580, where a used one is under $300, but as you say, there is no way of knowing who did the unlocking.

Thanks for the help.

Factory unlocked iPhones don't get relocked. Unofficially unlocked ones do. You will always have the chore not to upgrade unless there is a problem and you need to restore. Then it can become complicated to keep the unlock...