What's new

Touch screen Problem (Otterbox?)

Edge1978

Reaction score
Before I purchased the Otterbox my iPhone 4 worked flawlessly. But since I got the Otterbox it seems I have a hard time with the touch screen, I'd say this happens at least once a day. Sometimes I have a hard time sliding to unlock and touching an icon, it feels like I really need to push hard to unlock or sometimes it won't recognize my touch until the screen goes to sleep or I hit the lock/sleep button. Then it works fine. There have also been a few times where as much as I pressed on an icon, it wouldn't recognize. I

At first I chalked this up to the fact I have a screen protector (the zagg to be exact) under the Otterbox screen protector. But so far the few people I know with the Otterbox have not had this problem. I took my phone to the Genius Bar (Twice) and the first time they did a diagnostics test on it and said it was fine. The second time I was there, they said again it seemed fine but offered to reinstall the firmware hoping to help. But I still have troubles. Does anyone else have this problem? Was my iPhone about to go nuts and just getting the Otterbox was a coincidence? Any advice would be great. :)

Have you tried taking the Zagg screen off and just use the Defender's own screen protector. Having two layers of plastic can't be good for touch operations. You are changing it's capacitance way beyond spec. I'm sure apple designed it with one layer in mind, but two? Not good! I have the Defender case with no extra screen protection and my touch screen works fine.

I have the defender with the zagg case s reen protector and it works fine. I often change cases is why I have the zagg. No real problems though. Sounds like not much fun.

Same here, as Pocobear: I only use the Defender's (Otterbox) screen protector, and all's well. No need for TWO protectors.

I actually took out the otterbox screen protector and still use the zagg. It works really well that way and, I can use my phone in other cases. I only use the otterbox when I'm at work.

Yeah i bet having both screens is the problem because i have just the defender and no probs. My buddy took out his screen on the defender and is rockin no screen cuz he says it looks better. But hes dumb. It seems tho, like a lot of ppl take out the defender's screen.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I actually did decide to remove the Otterbox screen. It looks great with just the Zagg, and so far so good. :)

I have the same setup, and have the same problem as you. It only happens to me maybe once a week though. It's usually like you said with the slide to unlock. It won't slide all the way over. I just hit the power button (top) quickly to go back to sleep mode, and then the home button again and it works for me after that. Like I said it is maybe once a week for me so it doesn't bother me to much. Could be the double screen protector I guess.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I actually did decide to remove the Otterbox screen. It looks great with just the Zagg, and so far so good. :)

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. I did the same thing. I didn't like the watermark effect that was caused by using two screens. The Otterbox screen came off pretty easily. Problem solved and now I have the best of both worlds. Otterbox Defender over Zagg Shield.

I tried putting my iPhone 4 with Zagg into defender and had to take it off because it was too tight of a fit. I called Otterbox and they said this is the case with Zagg and other protectors. They said the defender is made to not use a screen protector.

I had a Ballistic case on my iPhone 4 shortly after I got it, didn't like it, it was way too bulky. I now have the OtterBox Defender case with the screen cover as well as a cover on the phones screen its self, no problems here.

Had the OtterBox Defender case on my old 3g, hated the watermarks, made it hard to read in sunlight

I actually took out the otterbox screen protector and still use the zagg. It works really well that way and, I can use my phone in other cases. I only use the otterbox when I'm at work.

Yeah I hated the plastic protector that came with the otterbox. I pulled mine off (for my 3GS) and used it naked. No screen protector of any sorts.

I don't have the otterbox for my 4 because I converted it to white and the otterbox covers all the color so I'm using a griffin reveal and being VERY careful with my phone lol