What's new

To Jail Break Or Not to Jail Break

Vermonter

Reaction score
Ok folks I am sure you can help me here. I am a new iPhone user just got the iPhone 4 32 GB for Verison. I did so mainly because Blackberry was not doing its job and I continued to find things it couldn't do.

I have one and only one reason for wanting to Jailbreak the phone. I am interested in the Myfi mobile hotspot app and would like to take advantage of that function without paying the big V for it.

I have no interest in themes or walpapers or games those things are not the reason I bought the phone.

So being that the only reason I would JB the phone is to use the mobile hotspot feature without paying for it is it worth the risk?

Thanks, Vermonter

IOS 4.3 coming out on the 11th is going to have a built in WiFi hot spot feature, so if you dont have to jailbreak for that now.

Last edited:
You will still have to pay a monthly fee to your carrier. If you jailbreak it's a one off fee for the programe...

You will still have to pay a monthly fee to your carrier. If you jailbreak it's a one off fee for the programe...

Really? Thats what I was unsure of, are they going to require you to pay for teathering to use the wifi hot spot feature?

Doesnt matter to me I already have MiWi from the Ciydia store, paid for itself many times over.

The carriers are certinaly going to cash in on the new hotspot feature.

Just remember if you use mywi is still comes off your monthy data allowance which is much easier to go over on a laptop...

If you have unlimited data it shouldn't make a difference correct? I am seriously thinking of JB'ing my ViP4 so I can use the wifi app for my iPad.

Well if you're on AT&T you "only" have 2GB of total data per line. So if you plan on streaming Pandora all day long or watching movies or downloading stuff, then yes...you could easily bite through 2GB pretty fast.

If you're on unlimited data then you won't have an issue. People will tell you that they could "catch you" and force you to pay for your data that you used while tethered, but I've never heard of someone actually getting caught. It's always people saying they know someone that knows someone.

Your other option is to pay $20 a month from the carrier instead of the one time fee.

Unlimited data isn't always unlimited data. It's always subject to a fair usage policy. If verzion see you using silly amounts of data they can throttle your data speed. This means they can limit the speed of your internet at certain times of the day or even stop it all together...

Unlimited data isn't always unlimited data. It's always subject to a fair usage policy. If verzion see you using silly amounts of data they can throttle your data speed. This means they can limit the speed of your internet at certain times of the day or even stop it all together...

That's correct. Tmobile does that too. It is worth jailbreaking if you travel a lot like I do but if you have access to wifi often and that's the only reason, then I'd say totally up to you