What's new

This is new! Phone Lights Up Every Time Picked Up

HunnieBunnie

Reaction score
I noticed this phone's screen lights up every time I pick it up from my desk or other flat surface. My 5s never di this. Nice I guess(?) I presume they all do this?

I noticed this phone's screen lights up every time I pick it up from my desk or other flat surface. My 5s never di this. Nice I guess(?) I presume they all do this?
All the newer ones do so by default. It can be turned off in settings if you want.

The feature was introduced in iOS 10 for the iPhone 6s and newer.

Last edited:
Thank you, scifan57. I do not suppose it bothers me. Most of the time if I pick up the phone, I am going to do something with it other than move it from one spot to another.

I also noticed that the phone seems to silence itself whilst I am driving. That is something new. What else can you think of that is new in this phone from my 5s?

I just plugged it into my Mac to finish charging. I do not think there is anything on it yet that is also not on my Mac, but how can I be sure they are communicating with one another?

I have to wonder if they will ever reach a point with these phones where they cannot add anything more to them. I guess not.....

Thank you, scifan57. I do not suppose it bothers me. Most of the time if I pick up the phone, I am going to do something with it other than move it from one spot to another.

I also noticed that the phone seems to silence itself whilst I am driving. That is something new. What else can you think of that is new in this phone from my 5s?

I just plugged it into my Mac to finish charging. I do not think there is anything on it yet that is also not on my Mac, but how can I be sure they are communicating with one another?

I have to wonder if they will ever reach a point with these phones where they cannot add anything more to them. I guess not.....
Your iPhone going quiet while driving is called Do Not Disturb While Driving. This can be controlled from Do Not Disturb in Settings.

Thanks, scifan57. Why am I not getting my usual gmail and imessage notifications? I backed up from an old iCloud save. For some reason, I was unable to do it from iTunes.

Go to Settings>Notifications and scroll down to the Gmail and Message apps and see what form of notification, if any, has been set for each one.

Okay, in imessages, under ALERTS three things are checked:

Lock Screen
Notification Centre
Banners

Allow notifications is on (green). Badges is on (green).

In the gmail app, it is the same thing. Allow Notifications is on (green), all three items are checked under ALERTS. Sounds is on. Badges is on.

So, I do not understand why I am not getting alerts. My 5s was still sending me alerts today even after the SIM card was removed. I turned of the 5s now.

ETA: I sure do love this larger screen, though!!!