What's new

This app can save your life!

wish there was reception where i bike ride in the bush. it may save my life as well one day

A few years ago, the developer passed a car accident on the road. He saw that the police were already there, so he didn't stop. He only found out later in the day that his older brother had been involved in the accident. Had he known when he passed the accident, he could have stopped to help him.
When he started using the iPhone, he realized that he could use its capabilities to report an accident to friends or loved ones, and in a "eureka" moment, he invented Mayday.

would this app contact 911? motorcycle alot and would not pay to call a contact that may be with me or not.

would this app contact 911? motorcycle alot and would not pay to call a contact that may be with me or not.

Yeah it would be nice if it sent calls to emergency services. Other than that I don't even trust the people i text now. Lol

An answer to TRJeff:

It can call 911, but it can't talk to the person who answers. If the police have an sms number or an email address, it could send a message there....

How does it work? Ok, I am driving under the speed limit let us say in a 50km zone, a drunk driver runs into me badly at an intersection and I am uncouncious, how would the phone know?

How does it work? Ok, I am driving under the speed limit let us say in a 50km zone, a drunk driver runs into me badly at an intersection and I am uncouncious, how would the phone know?

The iPhone has on-board accelerometers and a speed detector for the GPS. Using the speed detector, Mayday knows that you are moving. It then uses the accelerometers to detect a sudden decrease in speed which is a very good indicator of an accident. It then sends a message to whomever you programmed it to send to, email or SMS.

The iPhone has on-board accelerometers and a speed detector for the GPS. Using the speed detector, Mayday knows that you are moving. It then uses the accelerometers to detect a sudden decrease in speed which is a very good indicator of an accident. It then sends a message to whomever you programmed it to send to, email or SMS.

So the app will send SMS to the one I programed to receive a notification every time I stop in a traffic light for 5mn? Or when I arrive to my destination and decide to stay in the car waiting for the wife to off her job and come in the car so we can go home, the app will be sending SMS or email all the time?

So the app will send SMS to the one I programed to receive a notification every time I stop in a traffic light for 5mn? Or when I arrive to my destination and decide to stay in the car waiting for the wife to off her job and come in the car so we can go home, the app will be sending SMS or email all the time?

I personally don't know anything about the app; however, I do know about Physics. The iPhone could easily measure the g-force it is subjected to, and trigger the app to send a message when a certain g-force is exceeded. However, you would need to be careful when using the app, because if you drop your iPhone, the sudden impact of the iPhone hitting the ground could simulate the same g-force subjected during an accident.

Do the airbags in your car go off every time you stop at a red light?...no, because the sensors in your vehicle operate the same way - a threshold g-force must be overcome before the airbags are tripped. I reckon this app works the same way (taking advantage of the built-in accelerometers on the iPhone).

BAB2010:
OKMURDOG is right. The program will not activate every time you stop at a red light. It only operates if you are driving above a preset speed (which you set) and you suddenly stop, or are stopped. You (or the car) have to go through a serious deceleration for the app to operate and send its messages.
More importantly, if it does activate and you don't want to send the messages, you have a minute to stop them. If you are alive and awake, you will see or hear the mayday alarm on the iphone and you can reset it.

Check out the web page:

http://www.mayday.stv77.com/