What's new

This app can save your life!

Thanks for the information, it's clear enough and sound to be a great app. I will have a look at the review of that app in the apps store.

Isn't it time to check out MayDay, the only iPhone app which can save your life?

This is not an app which can provide instant gratification. It is not a game. It won't help you find a restaurant. It won't help you pass the time on a train.

All it can do is save your life. Think about it.

Check it out here:
M A Y D A Y

The iPhone has on-board accelerometers and a speed detector for the GPS. Using the speed detector, Mayday knows that you are moving. It then uses the accelerometers to detect a sudden decrease in speed which is a very good indicator of an accident. It then sends a message to whomever you programmed it to send to, email or SMS.

So the app will send SMS to the one I programed to receive a notification every time I stop in a traffic light for 5mn? Or when I arrive to my destination and decide to stay in the car waiting for the wife to off her job and come in the car so we can go home, the app will be sending SMS or email all the time?

I personally don't know anything about the app; however, I do know about Physics. The iPhone could easily measure the g-force it is subjected to, and trigger the app to send a message when a certain g-force is exceeded. However, you would need to be careful when using the app, because if you drop your iPhone, the sudden impact of the iPhone hitting the ground could simulate the same g-force subjected during an accident.

Do the airbags in your car go off every time you stop at a red light?...no, because the sensors in your vehicle operate the same way - a threshold g-force must be overcome before the airbags are tripped. I reckon this app works the same way (taking advantage of the built-in accelerometers on the iPhone).

I was wondering the same thing; if you drop it. My guess is, and I am sure the dev will speak up, that as you are still moving at the same speed even if you drop the phone in your car while going 60mph. It is looking not only for the g force but the sudden deceleration and reduction in speed over all. Sounds like a pretty good idea, an "OnStar" lite so to speak.

This is not an app which can provide instant gratification. It is not a game. It won't help you find a restaurant. It won't help you pass the time on a train.

All it can do is save your life. Think about it.

Now that's funny as hell.

I was wondering the same thing; if you drop it. My guess is, and I am sure the dev will speak up, that as you are still moving at the same speed even if you drop the phone in your car while going 60mph. It is looking not only for the g force but the sudden deceleration and reduction in speed over all. Sounds like a pretty good idea, an "OnStar" lite so to speak.

If you drop it at home, it will not activate. If you drop it in the car, while you are driving faster than the activation speed, it MAY activate. If it activates, you always have 60 seconds to deactivate it.

sssteve said:
If you drop it at home, it will not activate. If you drop it in the car, while you are driving faster than the activation speed, it MAY activate. If it activates, you always have 60 seconds to deactivate it.

That's good. I'm guessing an alert will go off to let you know the apps been triggered? :)

Edit: I found the answer to my question. :D

Darkstar:

You are 100 % correct. It emits an audible alarm so that you know (if you are conscious) that it is about to send the messages it has been programmed to send.

Sounds a good app but I think as you have to set certain speed limits I.e 30,40,50,60 or 70 which are the known speed limits in the UK. Most days I'll be urban driving at 30mph. Then I may go onto a motorway (highway) which is 70. Because the increase in speed and the better chance of a higher deceleration you have a higher chance of it now activating. Like I said sounds good but there are lots of issues with false calls and knowing our luck a real accident will happen, it will send the text and the person who receives it has probably had 17 false alarms to then go "oh it's him again and that flipping app" (laughs out loud)

Sent from my iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 using Tapatalk

iHolophyte:

You've missed a couple of important points. The speed you set is just a minimum speed which arms the app when you are driving above that speed. You can set it at 10 MPH and leave it there. If you are driving normally (and safely), decelerating from whatever speed you are driving should not activate the alarm. However, if it does activate, you have 60 seconds to deactivate it before it sends any messages. If you are alive and kicking, you will hear an audible alarm from your iphone, and you will be able to deactivate the app. We haven't gotten any complaints about nuisance alarms.
Believe me, this app is well thought out and was designed by a very bright engineer who, I think, thought of everything.

Ssssteve. I wasn't pulling apart the app I was just highlighting some issues that may arise. Except my apologies if you thought otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 using Tapatalk

Ssssteve. I wasn't pulling apart the app I was just highlighting some issues that may arise. Except my apologies if you thought otherwise.

It's your privilege to "pull apart" the app, if you think it deserves that. I was just trying to explain why the issues you brought up aren't a problem. I'm more interested to know if you bought one! :)

It's your privilege to "pull apart" the app, if you think it deserves that. I was just trying to explain why the issues you brought up aren't a problem. I'm more interested to know if you bought one! :)

I haven't bought the app yet no. Are you considering giving me a discount 😜

iHolophyte