What's new

Tethering and Release Date?

I understand now. Thank you.

I thought that they were one in the same as to the feature.

Thanks again for clarifying.

Cya

No problem. It's kinda disjointed how they have it set up. AT&T had the same option for the tethering but turned it down. Verizon is trying to get a leg up by offering the hotspot but it may be at the cost of our data rates.

I understand now. Thank you.

I thought that they were one in the same as to the feature.

Thanks again for clarifying.

Cya

No problem. It's kinda disjointed how they have it set up. AT&T had the same option for the tethering but turned it down. Verizon is trying to get a leg up by offering the hotspot but it may be at the cost of our data rates.

I hate to even think what they would raise it to.

Cya

I hate to even think what they would raise it to.

Cya

Yeah, I'm really hoping they don't get stupid on this. I don't THINK they will do stupid pricing on the data plan, but you never know until it's announced.

You can't state as fact you know that since it's built in they have to charge you for tethering, because neither apple or verizon has said a word on pricing yet. So there fore any article saying anything about how they plan on pricing the new iPhone is completely 100% speculation.

It could be as simple as of you flip the switch you have to clarify if you want to be charged, or it won't work unless you have signed up for the service. Now, since this is on the Internet, it is every bit as factual as what you have said...

Not trying to flame, I just hate how people hear rumors and spread them as though they are facts. Until verizon announces it, we know nothing about it.

You can't state as fact you know that since it's built in they have to charge you for tethering, because neither apple or verizon has said a word on pricing yet. So there fore any article saying anything about how they plan on pricing the new iPhone is completely 100% speculation.

It could be as simple as of you flip the switch you have to clarify if you want to be charged, or it won't work unless you have signed up for the service. Now, since this is on the Internet, it is every bit as factual as what you have said...

Not trying to flame, I just hate how people hear rumors and spread them as though they are facts. Until verizon announces it, we know nothing about it.

Not once did I say I knew for sure if we were going to be charged extra for the hotspot. What I did say was that the hotspot is being included with the Verizon iPhone and there is no word on pricing yet. Please take your pick of articles, including the press releases and you will see where Verizon HAS stated that the hotspot WILL be a part of the package. And show me where I said or even guessed at pricing. All I said is I hoped it wouldn't go up but I was afraid it would.

Here'e the thing. We aren't going to have the option to pay extra for tethering. Because it is wrapped into the abilities of the phone through iOS 4.3, it's going to be all or none with us. We won't be able to opt out and turn on tethering through jailbreak. Because it is a part of the phone operating system, there will only be one, all inclusive, data charge. I'm with y'all hoping they go the route of the Palm OS and doing it at no cost. I'm personally still a little irritable Palm gets it free and the rest of us have to pay. That's rather stupid.

While I hope it will be free (and it certainly sounded like it), one of the pictures I saw has me a bit worried. Under the tethering option, there is wording that says something along the lines of "additional usage fees may apply". I sure hope that's just a standard thing they had to put in there though ;)

Well think about this. I am an ATT customer and I have a year and a half contract they can't just start charging me more. I though I heard it was going to be an app download tho? I guess I heard wrong. I have been waiting so long now for a jailbreak. Once I get it I'm keeping it. It may be a while before I get 4.3. But I wouldnt use that much tethering anyway. It's bullshit they charge for it anyway. It's not like you get a second connection. It's the same connection you already get just you are sharing it with another device.

I just read an article this morning on my phone that stated Verizon was going to charge an extra $20 for the hotspot feature. I pray to the gods it isn't true though. That would suck!

It won't surprise me, Verizon charges extra for the hotspot feature on Androids, unless you root.

Well think about this. I am an ATT customer and I have a year and a half contract they can't just start charging me more. I though I heard it was going to be an app download tho? I guess I heard wrong. I have been waiting so long now for a jailbreak. Once I get it I'm keeping it. It may be a while before I get 4.3. But I wouldnt use that much tethering anyway. It's bullshit they charge for it anyway. It's not like you get a second connection. It's the same connection you already get just you are sharing it with another device.

They look at as you are using their airwaves for your phone and they charge you accordingly...now you want to tether that phone to a device that in all likelihood will be using more data than just your phone and they want a piece of the pie.

I disagree with it but you have to remember...it is their airwaves we're using.

Cya

They look at as you are using their airwaves for your phone and they charge you accordingly...now you want to tether that phone to a device that in all likelihood will be using more data than just your phone and they want a piece of the pie.

I disagree with it but you have to remember...it is their airwaves we're using.

Cya

They wouldn't have airwaves if it wasn't for the customers. I never really feel like I am getting moneys worth out of the connection to begin with. Compared to my home connection.

I dont see verizon giving away ANYTHING for free, but I have my fingers crossed just like the rest of you.

I guess we could all go over to Sprint and get their $10 data package.

I'm sure their service is much better than anyone else's. Lol

We're all going to get stung in the long run...just enjoy what you decide on getting and let the rest go. Don't worry about what you can't control.

Cya