What's new

Sync iphone4 to itune problem

krist8

Reaction score
I re-installed the OS on my pc, including itunes. Now, I can sync my iphone4 to itunes, but the music, books, photos do not show up in itunes. Strangely, all the purchased apps do show up. How do I get everything back onto itunes? TIA

Well, since you have reinstall the OS on your pc, you have wipe all informations store in the iTunes and also all your previous backup files. Those stuff purchased on iTunes can be download again and for free, "musics, books, videos, apps" the musics which was present in your iTunes but wasn't purchased from the iTunes will not show up until you add them to your iTunes library from your music folder on your computer or wherever you store them. As for your photos, except those present on your phone and on your storage device like USB disc or in partition on your computer, you will not be able to recover any other photos/videos, they are usually saved in a special iTunes folder in your computer, but reinstalling your computer OS certainly wipe them out from your computer already.

did you authorise your computer? if not then it does not let you sync purchased Items

He said that all purchased items showed up.

right, but even when the computer is not authorised the paid for apps will show up but they just dont install no matter how much you sync the device

Well, since you have reinstall the OS on your pc, you have wipe all informations store in the iTunes and also all your previous backup files. Those stuff purchased on iTunes can be download again and for free, "musics, books, videos, apps" the musics which was present in your iTunes but wasn't purchased from the iTunes will not show up until you add them to your iTunes library from your music folder on your computer or wherever you store them. As for your photos, except those present on your phone and on your storage device like USB disc or in partition on your computer, you will not be able to recover any other photos/videos, they are usually saved in a special iTunes folder in your computer, but reinstalling your computer OS certainly wipe them out from your computer already.

Bab............. a quick, "newbie" question: does this mean that if I choose to install iOS 5 on my iOS 4.1 iPhone that I will lose all my contacts and saved backups on my PC? In other words, will I lose everything? Surely not, right?

Added dumb question: when I upgrade my current iTunes to the latest version on my PC, will I lose my previous backup files on my PC? Thanks!!!!

Bab............. a quick, "newbie" question: does this mean that if I choose to install iOS 5 on my iOS 4.1 iPhone that I will lose all my contacts and saved backups on my PC? In other words, will I lose everything? Surely not, right?

Added dumb question: when I upgrade my current iTunes to the latest version on my PC, will I lose my previous backup files on my PC? Thanks!!!!

Short answer for both questions; you are not going to lose any of your files.
1- If you upgrade to iOS 5, (A fresh upgrade via iTunes) you will have to restore your backup files into your phone afterward, after restoring your backup files to the phone, the iOS will still be iOS 5, but your settings, SMS, contacts, photos, and other files will still be there as if you've never change a thing. So moments before you upgrade to iOS 5, perform a backup using iTunes, after upgrading your iOS to version iOS 5 restore your backup and that's it.
2- if you update iTunes, it will automatically keep all your backup in a folder within your computer system files so that your backup will always be there and available to use whenever you want. But if you reinstall your computer OS, then install iTunes afterward, you can say good bye to your backups because they aren't present anymore within your computer system files since you have reinstall the OS of your computer.
But to be safe and stay away from computer damage suddenly and making lose the OS and so your backups, you can find your backups at this location in a windows computer "User-UserName-AppData-Roaming-Apple Conputer-MobileSync-Backup." and save them on an external drive. You can always load back those backups at that location after installing your computer OS and then iTunes, iTunes will recognize them again. That's what I do to be on the safer side, thanks to iCloud now, I will not have to worry about that anymore.

Short answer for both questions; you are not going to lose any of your files.

Excellent answers to both questions. Thanks. I sort of thought that was the case with a new iOS and iTunes, but I had to confirm! Being as I've had my iPhone for almost a year and have posted almost 900 messsages, you'd think I'd have a clue by now! Well, I do, but I'm scared to death of messing up my seemingly perfect iOS 4.1 iPhone with iTunes. FYI, I'll probably NOT upgrade to iOS 5 unless I can see a compelling reason to do so and "if" there aren't too many horror stores posted about it and its installation.
Thanks again!

Excellent answers to both questions. Thanks. I sort of thought that was the case with a new iOS and iTunes, but I had to confirm! Being as I've had my iPhone for almost a year and have posted almost 900 messsages, you'd think I'd have a clue by now! Well, I do, but I'm scared to death of messing up my seemingly perfect iOS 4.1 iPhone with iTunes. FYI, I'll probably NOT upgrade to iOS 5 unless I can see a compelling reason to do so and "if" there aren't too many horror stores posted about it and its installation.
Thanks again!

You are welcome. I'm going to upgrade to iOS 5 the moment I know it's available. Actually I can't wait no more.

Thanks again!

I understand and agree completely! I just don't feel confident about making the change, and unless there is a compelling reason to do so, I'll just sit tight for the time being! :)