What's new

iTunes Syncing

jen2440

Reaction score
I have always backed up to my PC laptop, syncing my iPhone4 or 5 to iTunes. I have never had a problem until now. When attempting to sync my 5 now I can't get the iTunes usual opening screen to come up. Before, I always got an opening screen that showed iTunes regognized my phone, notified me if there were new versions available, and asked me if I wanted to sync (I have it set to "manual" sync). Now the screen I get doesn't give me that option - it just lists my songs, or apps, or... No option to sync.

I've tried rebooting and connecting via both USB and WiFi. I'm using 6.0 and the latest version of iTunes. I've Googled and searched the forum.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Is you iPhone showing up in the left hand column of iTunes?

No, it doesn't. That was the screen I always got before. Now the screen just shows a list of songs, or apps, or whatever I've selected. I've tried to reduce the screen size to see if something was being covered up, but that doesn't work.

try useing different USB spot on PC

Will try. However, Before your suggestion I tried syncing again, and now the situation is different. I no longer get the full screen, just a small box in the corner of the screen saying something about "no more songs". Then I get a Popup about installing 6.1.

I think it is recognizing my phone connection, but maybe iTunes has become corrupted on my PC, which leads to my next question. If I reinstall iTunes on the PC do I lose everything? If so, should I back up to iCloud first?

Thanks.

If you upgraded iTunes to v11, it won't by default show the Sidebar. In the Sidebar is where you see if your phone is connected and accessible via iTunes.

In View, select Show Sidebar. If iTunes "sees" your device, it should show up there, clicking on it allows access to sync, backup, etc...

If you upgraded iTunes to v11, it won't by default show the Sidebar. In the Sidebar is where you see if your phone is connected and accessible via iTunes.

In View, select Show Sidebar. If iTunes "sees" your device, it should show up there, clicking on it allows access to sync, backup, etc...

Lightingguy......thank you very much. That was the answer. I guess I should have read the fine print when installing v11.

And thanks to all for responding.