What's new

Switching off

tippyteen

Reaction score
My daughter has an iphone 5. It's been working fine up until about an hr ago. All of a sudden the screen started flickering and switched itself off. We have taken the SIM card out and tried to switch it back on again, it will light up and bring up the apple logo but that's as far as it's goes before shutting down again. Does anyone know why this may be happening? It's frustrating and a bit random...any help would be gratefully received

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter has an iphone 5. It's been working fine up until about an hr ago. All of a sudden the screen started flickering and switched itself off. We have taken the SIM card out and tried to switch it back on again, it will light up and bring up the apple logo but that's as far as it's goes before shutting down again. Does anyone know why this may be happening? It's frustrating and a bit random...any help would be gratefully received Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Has the phone gotten wet? Is it still under warranty?

No it's not under warranty and were not too sure if it's gotten wet. She went out with it yesterday in the awful weather. So there is a chance that it may of got a bit wet

No it's not under warranty and were not too sure if it's gotten wet. She went out with it yesterday in the awful weather. So there is a chance that it may of got a bit wet Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's a moisture sensor at the bottom of the headphone jack, have a look with a strong light and see if it has turned red. If it has, moisture has gotten inside the iPhone. There's no way of telling whether or not the phone is repairable without disassembly by a qualified repair shop. Severe water damage will damage the phone beyond repair.

There's a moisture sensor at the bottom of the headphone jack, have a look with a strong light and see if it has turned red. If it has, moisture has gotten inside the iPhone. There's no way of telling whether or not the phone is repairable without disassembly by a qualified repair shop. Severe water damage will damage the phone beyond repair.

I've just had a look in the headphone jack with a strong light and as far as I can see there's no sign of any redness. I put it on charge about twenty mins and it has switched on and all my daughters messages have come through. But the screen itself keeps flickering and it's turnt itself off twice within that time. I'm hoping over time it will sort itself out. Many thanks for your advice and help.

I've just had a look in the headphone jack with a strong light and as far as I can see there's no sign of any redness. I put it on charge about twenty mins and it has switched on and all my daughters messages have come through. But the screen itself keeps flickering and it's turnt itself off twice within that time. I'm hoping over time it will sort itself out. Many thanks for your advice and help. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The screen may be defective. You could go to an Apple Store for a Genius Bar appointment, where they can run a full diagnostic. If the screen does need replacing, Apple charges about half the cost of a new iPhone to repair an out of warranty device.

It's now been a couple of days and the phone itself now switches on ok and everything is working fine. Just left now with the issue with the battery, it's either stuck on 100% charged and doesn't go down to tell u that it's flat, or once flat and charge starts again it stays stuck on 5%. Not sure if this is a problem that will sort itself out or weather I should look at taking it in to get looked at.

It's now been a couple of days and the phone itself now switches on ok and everything is working fine. Just left now with the issue with the battery, it's either stuck on 100% charged and doesn't go down to tell u that it's flat, or once flat and charge starts again it stays stuck on 5%. Not sure if this is a problem that will sort itself out or weather I should look at taking it in to get looked at.

Try a hard reset, hold down the on/off button and home button together until the apple appears, the phone will then reboot, this can clear little glitches.

Try a hard reset, hold down the on/off button and home button together until the apple appears, the phone will then reboot, this can clear little glitches.

That's great thanks for that, will give that a try :)

Have just tried doing a hard reset with the phone and it's made no difference. It keeps varying on what percentage it wants to stay stuck on it's now stuck on 44% it's a mystery to me why it keeps changing

My daughter has an iphone 5. It's been working fine up until about an hr ago. All of a sudden the screen started flickering and switched itself off. We have taken the SIM card out and tried to switch it back on again, it will light up and bring up the apple logo but that's as far as it's goes before shutting down again. Does anyone know why this may be happening? It's frustrating and a bit random...any help would be gratefully received

Sounds like a problem with phone where it should be replaced. Call the company where u bought it. Sounds like an inside the phone issue