What's new

Unwanted page stuck in safari

vfr700f2

Reaction score
i have an iphone5, unmodified. While using safari with several tabs open, one tab got confused and the landscape/portrait orientation got stuck. So the image and screen controls were in portrait with the phone oriented in landscape and vice versa. I could not use the page controls and the area that the screen should have been filling was black.

I went back to the home screen and shut off safari. I cleared all history in the settings page. Safari works properly again. BUT sometimes when i leave safari running on whatever page (apple.com for example) and switch to another app, then doubletap the home button to bring up any open apps, safari appears with the same page that it got stuck on when the problem happened 2 months ago. This happens randomly, not always.

How can i make this go away? It is not a work-safe page.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, vfr700f2!

I'm not sure whether or not Safari shows that page when you reopen it, or if it's visible when you see the thumbnail in the multitask bar.
If it's the latter, that can't be prevented, because Safari seems to show a random page that has been opened recently, before clearing history.

After force closing the app, and clearing history and website data, there are two more things you can try:
Restart your iPhone (turn it off and on again), and/or reset it (press and hold Home and Power button until you see the Apple logo, then let go of both - your device will power up on it's own). None of them will change settings or remove information on your iPhone.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, J.A.! If the multitask bar is what I get by doubleclicking the home button, yes, that's when it appears. I never noticed a randomly selected thumbnail there before; I thought it was a thumbnail of the page that was open. Anyway, since I've already restarted a few times, I did a reset. Still there. :(

Thanks again
kevin