What's new

iPhone 6 Switched Off - Won't Switch Back On

Giles

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Apologies if this topic has been discussed to death elsewhere but just wondering if anyone knows what the problem may be or if it is even worth solving/repairing.

Bought 2 x iPhone 6 phones in Singapore back in October 2014 for me and my missus. Thoroughly enjoyed these phones and had very little trouble with them until the batteries started giving hassles.

First it was my phone - started shutting down randomly and seemed to be affected by the overnight low temperature. It would be switched off in the morning and battled to switch back on unless I warmed it up against my body or under my arm. Worked fine during the day but as soon as the temperatire dropped it switched off. Eventually I took the phone into the iStore for a battery repair under that "recall" that Apple did. Two trips to the store, discounted battery price but they said they had to remove my protective screen cover in order to do the battery repair (since found out that is nonsense) but I had to buy a new screen protector too. This was in November/December 2018. Battery "recall" discounted replacement ended at the end of December 2018.

My missus' phone was still working fine and it looked like she didn't have the same issue. Then just after the "recall" offer ended her phone started shutting down unexpectedly too - January/February 2019. Not so much temperature related like mine but just shutting down randomly at various charge levels. Yet again I took it to the iStore (different branch) and they duly replaced the battery and they didn't need to remove the screen protector despite warning us they may have to duringthe repiar process. Anyway - her phone battery was replaced and everything was well again.

Fast forward to March 2020 - her phone starts randomly switching off again even when supposedly fully charged (100%). This battery is only 13-months old when this starts - conveniently though the replacement battery installed by Apple iStore only has a 12-month warranty. Her phone charges to 100% then if you take it off the charger and start using it it suddenly shuts down after just a couple of minutes use. The Battery Health showed that Maximum Capacity was at 87%. After a couple of months of frustration and leaving the phone on charge permanently (during the Covid-19 lockdown) I tried to do a DFU on her phone. I backed her phone up on iTunes, downloaded the IPW 12.4.6 iOS file and successfully managed to restore her iPhone with the firmware as instructed. I then restored the back-up of her phone from iTunes and it started updating her Apps and such. Upon completion of the Apps updating the phone showed 100% charged and I removed the charger. After a couple of minutes the phone switched off again as before the DFU. I tried several hard resets and reboots but the same story - 100% charge, shutdown, plug in charger, low battery symbol appears, switches on, boots up to show 11% charge that rapidly climbs back up to 100% again. Remove charger and after a couple of minutes the phone shuts down again.

Eventually I charged it up to 100% again and then removed the charger hoping it would run down overnight instead of switching off. In the morning the phone was off and nothing I do is allowing it to switch back on. I cannot get the low battery symbol to reappear, hard reset doesn't work, I cannto get it into DFU mode again, iTunes doesn't detect it, nothing. Could this be the battery again (so soon after last replacement?) or could this be a bigger issue that requires a repair that is probably more than the phone is now worth?

Curiously my identical iPhone also with a replacement battery that is now 17-18 months old shows a battery Maximum Capacity of 98% but the Battery Health indicates "Service"?? Not sure why as it is working just fine.

No doubt my phone will also start playing up soon. Just curious if I should bother trying to replace the battery in my missus' iPhone again or if anyone knows for sure that there is something else more major wrong with it. She has gone back to her old iPhone 5 and isn't very happy at all. :eek:) Any suggestions/advice would be welcomed.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Apologies if this topic has been discussed to death elsewhere but just wondering if anyone knows what the problem may be or if it is even worth solving/repairing.

Bought 2 x iPhone 6 phones in Singapore back in October 2014 for me and my missus. Thoroughly enjoyed these phones and had very little trouble with them until the batteries started giving hassles.

First it was my phone - started shutting down randomly and seemed to be affected by the overnight low temperature. It would be switched off in the morning and battled to switch back on unless I warmed it up against my body or under my arm. Worked fine during the day but as soon as the temperatire dropped it switched off. Eventually I took the phone into the iStore for a battery repair under that "recall" that Apple did. Two trips to the store, discounted battery price but they said they had to remove my protective screen cover in order to do the battery repair (since found out that is nonsense) but I had to buy a new screen protector too. This was in November/December 2018. Battery "recall" discounted replacement ended at the end of December 2018.

My missus' phone was still working fine and it looked like she didn't have the same issue. Then just after the "recall" offer ended her phone started shutting down unexpectedly too - January/February 2019. Not so much temperature related like mine but just shutting down randomly at various charge levels. Yet again I took it to the iStore (different branch) and they duly replaced the battery and they didn't need to remove the screen protector despite warning us they may have to duringthe repiar process. Anyway - her phone battery was replaced and everything was well again.

Fast forward to March 2020 - her phone starts randomly switching off again even when supposedly fully charged (100%). This battery is only 13-months old when this starts - conveniently though the replacement battery installed by Apple iStore only has a 12-month warranty. Her phone charges to 100% then if you take it off the charger and start using it it suddenly shuts down after just a couple of minutes use. The Battery Health showed that Maximu Capacity was at 87%. After a couple of months of frustration and leaving the phone on charge permanently (during the Covid-19 lockdown) I tried to do a DFU on her phone. I backed her phone up on iTunes, downloaded the IPW 12.6.6 iOS file and successfully managed to restore her iPhone with the firmware as instructed. I then restored the back-up of her phone from iTunes and it started updating her Apps and such. Upon completion of the Apps updating the phone showed 100% charged and I removed the charger. After a couple fo minutes the phone switched off again as before the DFU. I tried several hard resets and reboots but the same story - 100% charge, shutdown, plug in charger, low battery symbol appears, switches on, boots up to show 11% charge that rapidly climbs back up to 100% again. Remove charger and after a couple fo minutes the phone shuts down again.

Eventually I charged it up to 100% again and then removed the charger hoping it would run down overnight instead of switching off. In the morning the phone was off and nothing I do is allowing it to switch back on. I cannot get the low battery symbol to reappear, hard reset doesn't work, I cannto get it into DFU mode again, iTunes doesn't detect it, nothing. Could this be the battery again (so soon after last replacement?) or could this be a bigger issue that requires a repair that is probably more than the phone is now worth?

Curiously my identical iPhone also with a replacement battery that is now 17-18 months old shows a battery Maximum Capacity of 98% but the Battery Health indicates "Service"?? Not sure why as it is working just fine.

No doubt my phone will also start playing up soon. Just curious if I should bother trying to replace the battery in my missus' iPhone again or if anyone knows for sure that there is something else more major wrong with it. She has gone back to her old iPhone 5 and isn't very happy at all. :eek:) Any suggestions/advice would be welcomed.

Sorry meant to include that just before the DFU was done her phone showed a battery Maximum Capacity of 89% - up from the 87% it was initially was when it started switching off randomly. After the successful DFU restore the battery Maximum Capacity was at 90% - up again?? Not sure how this is possible but then again mine shows "Service" with a Maximum Capacity of 98%!?