What's new

Sudden Increase in Battery Life

[email protected]

Reaction score
The extended battery life occurs at the end of this post so bear with me as I relate my story :p

Had my iPhone 4 for almost a year now and the average battery life was about 18 hours with a 5 hours of usage phone calls, sudoku, ibooks, web browsing etc. Wifi on, locations services on and from time to time bluetooth would be left on.

I never thought much about my battery life although I've heard rumors that the iphone 4 has a general standby life of 40+ hours but I thought it might have been the way I used it.

I tried a couple of times of draining my battery to 0% before recharging it but it still had no effect on my total hours of usage, so I gave up and simply recharged it when I went to bed regardless of the battery depletion.

I decided to buy one of those cheapy external battery case of 2350mAh extra power packs from ebay and after a couple of weeks it arrived.

I began using my iphone until it completely discharged and slipping the case on to recharge my phone only when it was depleted; I've done this twice now. Remember that I only use the external battery pack only when my phone was completely discharged. Once I tried using the external pack all day keeping my iphone charged at 100% until the external battery pack was unable to maintain a charging state which basically gave my iPhone another 18 hours on top of whatever time my iphone normally gave me.

Then I started to notice something strange. My iphone would still be about 80% charged by the end of the day (no external battery pack) (approx 18 hours) before bed with only a couple of hours usage.

Currently at this moment, the phone has been on standby for 1 Day, 14 hours with 3 hours and 37 minutes of usage with 47% left on the battery.

I expect it will last through the night giving me a total of 48 hours or more standby and probably 5 hours of usage.

Has something changed in recent IOS updates? or has the way I have been using my external battery triggered something that is normal on my iPhone 4 all along?

Has everybody always been able to use their iphone 4 for a couple of days and I was the only one that had an abnormal phone?

Thanks ahead of time for any replies and answers.

That's normal usage for me with no external battery packs. The latest updates are suppose to help with battery life but I don't notice anything different. The power cycle probably refreshed your battery.

That's normal usage for me with no external battery packs. The latest updates are suppose to help with battery life but I don't notice anything different. The power cycle probably refreshed your battery.

so 40+ hours is normal? that is good to hear...

Currently:
35% battery remaining
Usage 4 hours, 27 Minutes
Standby 2 Days, 1 Hour

so 40+ hours is normal? that is good to hear...

Currently:
35% battery remaining
Usage 4 hours, 27 Minutes
Standby 2 Days, 1 Hour

Here is a screen of my usage. As you can see I could've pushed it a little longer for usage.

Attachments

• $image-3317255096.jpg
    $image-3317255096.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
With 5 hours of usage in the last 24 hours, I'm still at 50% battery life. That also included 6 hours of listening to music at work. :)

kcallahan said:
With 5 hours of usage in the last 24 hours, I'm still at 50% battery life. That also included 6 hours of listening to music at work. :)

You have a truck battery with that iPhone? Lol

iFrog said:
You have a truck battery with that iPhone? Lol

Lol that's what I was thinking! I wish my battery would last longer. I'll probably have to buy another one. I've troubleshooted everything imaginable. I guess my battery is just burned out. :(!

See mine I m on standby for 1 day and usage is 13 hours

Attachments

• $image-382628981.jpg
    $image-382628981.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 420