What's new

iPhone 4 battery issue

sdavey92

Reaction score
I have a brand new iPhone 4 (bought it from the virgin store last week) I fully chargered it last night and now it's at 20% after 20 hours of standby (mostly on airplane mode) and 8 hours of usage. I have the brightness turned down, no multitasking running, only a few push notifications turned on and 3G turned off. Is this normal battery life for the iPhone 4 or should I take it back to the store?

Take it back to the store? What are you expecting to have? 300hours of standby and 50h of usage time?

I'm expecting that with only medium amount of use my phone would last longer than and have better battery life than my second hand 3G

Ok, I see your concern, but you shouldn't compare the 2phones from that angle. The iPhone 4 is a powerfull device, everything you runing on the device use power, the way it run faster, the iOS in it and all those features are using power, and of course your 3g doesn't have the power of the iPhone 4. So with a minimum usage, you should be able to go around 10h with 2 or 3h maxi for stand by. But when you already have 20h of stand by, it's understandable that you have 8h of usage time. Your 3g can last longer than that, it doesn't have the retina display, and it doesn't have the iOS installed on your phone4. By the time you will start comparing 2 iPhone 4, on the same iOS then what you will say will be taking into consideration, until then, your compairasons don't stand the road.

Last night it was on 1% for 10hrs usage and 15hrs standby, is that standard?

I work in areas where there is no phone signal, is there something I could do to increase my battery life? Sometimes, after working 6-8 hours in a no signal area, my battery is ,20%. Granted, this is with some ap usage during lunch and breaks...

When u r working u can always put ur phone in airplane mode... This disables all signal usage eg. 3G, e mail, data usage etc. If the apps u r using don't require data usage u can still use them without having to turn airplane mode off... This should conserve battery life dramatically...

Turning off location services in settings will aid battery life in poor signal areas.

Make sure satnav apps are not running

CP

@CP won't putting the phone in airplane stop location services too??? I'm pretty sure it will...

Putting the phone in air plane mode freeze all communication method on the phone except wifi, saying so, once the phone is in airplane mode, he not be able to receive either phone calls either SMS.

Exactly... But he said that he doesn't get signal where he works at... So he's still not getting SMS or phone calls and I think that his battery is dying because his phone is trying to find/connect service... U get me???

Exactly... But he said that he doesn't get signal where he works at... So he's still not getting SMS or phone calls and I think that his battery is dying because his phone is trying to find/connect service... U get me???

Yeah you right. Definitely have to put the phone in airplane mode, I would do the same in that case.