What's new

Streaming over 3g, Hulu Netflix

gnetsurpher

Reaction score
I cannot stream Hulu or Netflix to my iPhone 4 over my 3G connection. It works fine if I turn on wifi, but turn that off and try to load the exact same video and no go. Hulu gives an error message saying Hulu Plus isn't available at this time, error 16, and the Netflix just shows the pinwheel loading icon and then reverts back to the movie description page.

Any ideas?

Are u sure you have 3G??? Maybe you are just having edge or GPRS connection, otherwise it should work fine. Or simply, those apps are restricted and need wifi to be able to work.

Solved it. This may be something to make a note of just in case.*

A few weeks back an app came out called Onavo. It's goal is to save you money by compressing your network usage. It installs a profile to your device to do this but you use the app to turn the actual compression on or off.*

Apparently, though, that's not enough. The settings it changes modifies thins enough so that video wouldn't stream with Hulu OR Netflix.

Steps:*

I made sure all savings (compression) was turned off in the Onavo app. This requires a trip from the app (automatically) out to Mobile Safari and then back into the app.*

Removed the profile from the Settings app.*

Removed the Onavo app.*

Rebooted iPhone.*

Streaming on Hulu and Netflix over 3G returns!

Yep I was on 3G for sure. It turned out to be an app called Onavo. Once I got that off, streaming over 3G was back.

This was literally driving me nuts! I had Netflix and it wasnt streaming and I didnt know what was wrong. I just downloaded hulu plus today and it wasn't streaming either. then I saw this post! The thing was I did install Onavo and uninstall it a few weeks ago....but I did not remove the profile! once I did that and rebooted everything worked like a charm! wouldn't have thought of it till I saw your post! so thanks again for the info!!!

Glad it helped! I know how hard it was to find information about it so I'm glad this answer is now out there on the Internet for others to benefit from! Happy streaming!