What's new

Apple Could Be Building a Video Streaming Service to Rival Netflix

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
appletv_remote.jpg

Could Apple TV end up being more than just a TV? If the latest rumors are any indication, then Apple may be looking at something bigger than just a fancy Apple branded monitor to sell. According to "unnamed insider sources" Apple could be planning to develop their own video content streaming service to compete directly with Netflix.

Supposedly, Apple has grown frustrated with trying to deal with the entrenched TV networks and their reluctance to work out any deals for Apple TV. Because of this, Apple might instead simply go their own way by creating bundles of content and sell it directly to customers. Here's a quote with more of the details,

The theory is that Apple would put together bundles of programming — but not the entire TV lineup that pay-TV providers generally offer — and sell it directly to consumers, over the Web. That means Apple wouldn’t be reinventing the way TV works today, but offering its own version of it, with its own interface and user experience.

The report makes clear that this isn't something that Apple is likely to be revealing for retail anytime soon, but the writing is on the wall, that services like Hulu and Netflix could be the wave of the future. Share your thoughts.

Source: Apple Talks to TV Programmers About Web TV Service Re code

Considering the advances of internet technologies, and how fed-up people are getting with paid-cable and its prices, I think more and more people are turning to things like netflix and hulu to get their tv fix. There's less commercials, there are great recommendation algorithms, and its cheaper. If it was up to me, I'd have all the technology moguls fighting it out on this new battle-ground.

Obviously, depending on how Apple plans on creating a Netflix-like service, I'd be very willing to subscribe to it.

Apple should just buy Netflix and work on a seamless integrated with all of their iDevices.