What's new

Apple Supposedly Considering Buying Time Warner Assets for Apple TV Streaming

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
Apple_TimeWarner.jpg

We found some intriguing industry intel regarding potential future plans from Apple. Supposedly, the leadership in Cupertino is considering buying up some or all of Time Warner's assets. The theory behind the rumor is that Apple would do this to add a substantial amount of value directly to their upcoming Apple TV Streaming service.

If Apple was able to pull off a gargantuan deal like this, it would allow them to effectively bypass one of the main hurdles they have experienced in getting their Apple TV Streaming off the ground. The main problem is that Apple is having trouble getting the various TV content providers to play ball and offer up decent value in licensing deals for Apple's TV Streaming concept. Time Warner owns CNN, HBO, TBS, TNT, NBA TV, Cartoon Network and the Warner Bros. division. This would be a huge portfolio for Apple to use as leverage.

Apple would still have plenty of competitors in the arena (like CBS, ABC, Fox, Disney, Viacom, Discovery), but they may be more willing to play ball with Apple simply to stop them from going through with a deal like this. Apple does have the capital to push through a buyout of this magnitude, if it can pass regulatory muster.

Either way, it's just an industry rumor (and could simply be wishful thinking on the part of Time Warner CEO Jeffrey Bewkes), so take it with a grain of salt. What do you think of this rumor?

Source: MacRumors

Last edited:
This would be a great decision for Apple TV, I think.... it would put them instantly on the map and give them an offering that people could choose to use instead of Satellite or Cable. I would be very interested in this.

Is anyone worried about a) Apple spreading themselves out a bit thin (TV, Watches, phones, tablets, laptops, desktops, CARS, and now Cable)
or b) whether they're starting to get close to this "too big to fail" thing that got all the banks in trouble recently?

This is certainly one way Apple could start competing with Netflix.

I use my appleTV every day, but I never browse actual Apple content. Just netflix, HBO, etc. This might actually change that.

I use my appleTV every day, but I never browse actual Apple content. Just netflix, HBO, etc. This might actually change that.

Imagine being able to get Sports (if you like that) and news on the Apple TV... Sure you can do that over the air now in some locations but that isn't guaranteed.

This would definitely be a good way to boost Apple TV! However, I think TW has about the worst customer service there is and I consider Apple to have one of the best. This will either be a good thing for TW or it could drag down Apple's customer service satisfaction.

OP Updated for small edits and clarity.