What's new

Streaming on Wifi - Odd problem - Searched and Googled with no luck

commbubba19

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has had this issue as I've only found one thread on google with anyone else experiencing anything similar.

Cellular data off (poor coverage at the office, done to save some battery) running on corporate wifi.

I have full access to everything on youtube/netflix, etc. But when trying to actually play any youtube video, i get the 30sec advert (sometimes), but then 'playback error'. Now if i pressed the video i had an option to reload and that worked, but with the latest youtube update, that reload icon is gone.

I can load the same video on my laptop and android phone on the exact same wifi network.

I tested netflix just to test streaming and it works as well except on the iphone.

Does apple use a different header request or socket vs. Android/Windows which could be blocking the actual rtp stream at the firewall?

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue as I've only found one thread on google with anyone else experiencing anything similar.

Cellular data off (poor coverage at the office, done to save some battery) running on corporate wifi.

I have full access to everything on youtube/netflix, etc. But when trying to actually play any youtube video, i get the 30sec advert (sometimes), but then 'playback error'. Now if i pressed the video i had an option to reload and that worked, but with the latest youtube update, that reload icon is gone.

I can load the same video on my laptop and android phone on the exact same wifi network.

I tested netflix just to test streaming and it works as well except on the iphone.

Does apple use a different header request or socket vs. Android/Windows which could be blocking the actual rtp stream at the firewall?

Small update: this occurs on iPhone 4S and 5 running 6.1.3 and an iPad 3 also running 6.1.3.

About 1 out of every 10 videos I click on will play. I'm just browsing through the popular videos.