What's new

Steps to prepare for ios 6 upgrade and ios5 downgrade

wingzfan61

Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the right direction to properly save what needs to be saved on my 4s running 5.1.1? I want to upgrade to ios 6 next week but knowing a JB will be a ways away Id like to have the ability to downgrade and restore my 5.1.1 JB after apple closes the signing window on ios5 if I choose.

Ive read the thread on downgrading but Im not sure its for a 4s.

Thanks all.

I restored my 4s. JB can wait, rather have iOS 6. Been ready for weeks now.

Well i think i got the right info to downgrade so I went ahead and updated to ios6 gold master and so far I like it but i do miss the JB.

I'm waiting.. I'm hoping When an ios6 comes out with JB I can upgrade without erasing anything

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Correct me if I'm wrong, please... but there isn't a way to downgrade ANY iOS version on the 4S. This is due to there not being a bootrom exploit on the 4S, as there is in the 4 & earlier models.

Thomasjtsi said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, please... but there isn't a way to downgrade ANY iOS version on the 4S. This is due to there not being a bootrom exploit on the 4S, as there is in the 4 & earlier models.

Thats exactly what o was wondering. Ive found some posts that say you can on a 4s but no firm answer on it. I think im gonna just restore 5.1.1 until 6 is jailbroken. 6 has some nice features but not enough for me to lose JB.

wingzfan61 said:
Thats exactly what o was wondering. Ive found some posts that say you can on a 4s but no firm answer on it. I think im gonna just restore 5.1.1 until 6 is jailbroken. 6 has some nice features but not enough for me to lose JB.

I agree... stay w: 5.1.1 until 6.0 is JB.

Yes, just to confirm, there will be no way to downgrade the 4S to 5.1.1 once the signing window is closed as things stand today. This is expected to happen 24-48 hours after IOS6 is released to the public. Unless you are sure you are happy to stay "stock" for a while, you should certainly think things through...

wingzfan61 said:

Yeah ima do the same

Thomasjtsi said:
I agree... stay w: 5.1.1 until 6.0 is JB.

I gotta question, what sources & all do you use for your JB? Mind sending me them so I can use them links/info ? I think someone should make a thread of the best/safest sources & all known to be used & good & safe......

OK I have a question, I have read the forum about unjailbreaking and dont quite understand something. I jailbroke my 4s with 5.1.1 using absinthe if I want to unjailbreak with the new iso6 will I need to restore back to 5.1.1 then upgrade to ios6 or just upgrade to ios6 through itunes?

OK I have a question, I have read the forum about unjailbreaking and dont quite understand something. I jailbroke my 4s with 5.1.1 using absinthe if I want to unjailbreak with the new iso6 will I need to restore back to 5.1.1 then upgrade to ios6 or just upgrade to ios6 through itunes?

No need to go back to 5.1.1 stock. Once iOS6 is released you will need to use the "restore" function. This will wipe your phone and install IOS6. You can then choose to restore a backup once this is finished if you like (you will be asked at the end if you want to restore your backup or set up as a new phone), but make sure you take a backup before you begin!

You cannot use the iTunes "update" feature since you are jailbroken.

No need to go back to 5.1.1 stock. Once iOS6 is released you will need to use the "restore" function. This will wipe your phone and install IOS6. You can then choose to restore a backup once this is finished if you like (you will be asked at the end if you want to restore your backup or set up as a new phone), but make sure you take a backup before you begin!

You cannot use the iTunes "update" feature since you are jailbroken.

Thanks so much for the info