What's new

Upgrading and downgrading iOS 5

miles

Reaction score
Hello again. My iphone 4 is now jailbroken at iOS 5.1. If I'll upgrade it to iOS 5.1.1, could I still downgrade it to 5.1 afterwards? What should I do so I could downgrade it to 5.1 in case I will have issues with 5.1.1? I have noticed that there are two IPSW for iphone 4 in 5.1.1. One shows GSM (9B208) and the other one is GSM (9B206). How would I know which one should I use for my iPhone? Thanks.

Your post has been moved here to the Jailbreak section for better assistance. Try to keep your threads linear.

iOS 5.1 offers a tethered jailbreak, whereas 5.1.1 offers an untethered jailbreak. Generally users want to push for an upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 or 5.1.1 rather than 5.1. But yes, you can upgrade to iOS 5.1.1 then downgrade to iOS 5.1, or you can just simply create a custom IPSW or use the restore function on RedSn0w to direct restore 5.1 back onto your device without having to upgrade then downgrade.

The 9B206 is the original iOS 5.1.1. 9B206 is the revised version. If you have iOS 5.1.1 blobs, it's for 9B206, if you have 5.1.1r1, it's 9B208. Note whether or not there's an r1 after 5.1.1 or not, since they have separate blobs.

Last edited:
Assuming that my iphone have been upgraded to 5.1.1, I could downgrade it to 5.1 by simply doing restore and use the 5.1 IPSW? Same procedure as upgrading the iOS? Do I need to jailbreak it first while it's in 5.1.1 before restoring it to 5.1?

Could you tell me how to do Custom IPSW and how to flash the old IPSW back? I also have read about iFaith to backup the firmware and use it to restore it back. THanks again.

Last edited:
Incorrect use of flash. Flashing is temporary or basically changing the appearance of something to make it look like something else.

To be able to upgrade to iOS 5.1.1, you'll need the SHSH blobs for 5.1.1. You'll also need the iOS 5.1 SHSH blobs if you want to downgrade. To check whether or not you have those, open up Cydia and on the top of the main screen, look at the list of iOS on the top. The ones present are the ones that you can upgrade/downgrade to. To create custom IPSWs, it's recommended that you use RedSn0w's Extra > SHSH Blobs > Stitch feature, as Sn0wBreeze does have a reputation of creating corrupted or bad IPSWs.

Download the IPSW of the iOS that you want to upgrade/downgrade/restore to that's no longer being signed, select remote blobs (this retrieves blobs from Cydia's servers) and it'll stitch the IPSW. You can then use this in iTunes. Or you can use RedSn0w's Extra > Even More > Restore feature. It'll stitch the IPSW and install it at the same time.

Following your instruction:

To create custom IPSWs, it's recommended that you use RedSn0w's Extra > SHSH Blobs > Stitch feature,

Download the IPSW of the iOS that you want to upgrade/downgrade/restore to that's no longer being signed, select remote blobs (this retrieves blobs from Cydia's servers) and it'll stitch the IPSW.

Remote Blobs button is greyed out. Only Local Blobs could be used.

Might be because of the traffic on the servers. Save them locally using TinyUmbrella in the meantime.

I'm having issues in installing tiny umbrella. It install different third parties softwares such as registry cleaner, etc. Do you know where I could get a clean tiny umbrella installer? I have checked Redsnow again, and the remote blob is still not available / grayed out. Is the remote blob available in your redsnow?

Would the Dump SHSH blobs from iFaith do the same? Any other application that I could use to get the blobs from the server?

There's no installer for TinyUmbrella. It's a simple .exe file. Go to the TinyUmbrella website and make sure you click "TinyUmbrella[WIN] or [OSX]" and not TinyCFW

Okay. I have saved a stitched IPSW @ 5.1 based on your instruction above. Now, I will upgrade the iOS to 5.11 or 6.1. After I upgrade it and decide to downgrade it to 5.1, do I need to jailbreak the iPhone at 5.11 or 6.1 before I could restore the saved / stitched IPSW @ 5.1 by using redsnow? Or there's no need to jailbreak just restore the iPhone directly using the saved / stitched IPSW?

Last edited:
You don't have to be jailbroken. Simply restore it. If it doesn't work while in DFU mode, you might need to use Pwned DFU mode to do so using RedSn0w.

Pardon me for my ignorance but what's the difference between DFU mode and Pwned DFU mode?

DFU mode is for restoring to the same iOS or to a newer iOS. Pwned DFU mode is generally used for installing custom IPSWs, meaning stitched IPSWs. In some cases, users have downgraded with Pwned DFU mode, in some cases users needed to be in Pwned DFU mode.

Does the stitched IPSW "save" information like contacts, emails, cydia, added apps, etc? So, when I restore the iphone with the stitched IPSW, I don't need to rejailbreak the unit and reinstall added apps?