What's new

Starting fresh with iTunes

iShawn

Reaction score
Okay, I am afraid of iTunes because of past experiences with it. Everytime I plug my iPhone into my computer, my old apps that were loaded into iTunes merge with my apps on my NEW iPhone, taking everything out of their folders, and making my phone a mess.

Here is what I want to do:
I want to start fresh with iTunes, like a clear slate. I want nothing in iTunes, and I want to plug my phone in and back everything into iTunes the way it is.

How should I do this? I'm a very techy person, but this is one thing I am having a problem with.

Do I just uninstall iTunes and re-install it? Or is their an easier way?

You need to go into iTunes and unselect sync apps.
I get iShawn's comments, and you're correct in your reply. My comment is why the (umm..) heck doesn't Apple set iTunes NOT to synch automatically the first time it starts up (before we have a chance to un-select everything)! iTunes really messed up my iPhones because of this too.

Okay, so if I deleted all the apps out of iTunes, then sync my apps again. Will it erase my apps on my iPhone, or will it start fresh and sync all the apps that I presently have on my iPhone?

Okay so i actually figured it out. But now when I go to plug my iPhone in, it syncs all my apps to iTunes, which is good, but it takes everything out of their folders and re-arranges them however it wants. What is it doing?

I get iShawn's comments, and you're correct in your reply. My comment is why the (umm..) heck doesn't Apple set iTunes NOT to synch automatically the first time it starts up (before we have a chance to un-select everything)! iTunes really messed up my iPhones because of this too.

You can do this....open iTunes and do not connect your device. (you can also turn off wifi on your device if you are worried about wifi sync). Then click on edit>preferences>devices>check the box to "prevent ipods, iphones, and ipads from syncing automatically. But I totally agree it should be the default rather than someone having to figure it out on their own or through a forum. :)

Last edited:
xrayeyes said:
You can do this....open iTunes and do not connect your device. (you can also turn off wifi on your device if you are worried about wifi sync). Then click on edit>preferences>devices>check the box to "prevent ipods, iphones, and ipads from syncing automatically. But I totally agree it should be the default rather than someone having to figure it out on their own or through a forum. :)

This is why I hate iTunes.lol.

FYI....if your a jailbreaker....I recommend to never restore from backup.lol. There are other (more reliable) ways to backup everything iTunes does. iTunes is a train wreck.lol

This is why I hate iTunes.lol.

FYI....if your a jailbreaker....I recommend to never restore from backup.lol. There are other (more reliable) ways to backup everything iTunes does. iTunes is a train wreck.lol

Zig.... for my sake, what are those other ways to backup everything iTunes does? I'd really like to know. The Android phones have a drag & drop capability, which is SO effective, but NOT the iPhone. Oh No! That's why I'm considering going DROID RAZR after my 2 yr contract is up.

EWyatt said:
Zig.... for my sake, what are those other ways to backup everything iTunes does? I'd really like to know. The Android phones have a drag & drop capability, which is SO effective, but NOT the iPhone. Oh No! That's why I'm considering going DROID RAZR after my 2 yr contract is up.

It depends what you want to backup.

EWyatt said:
I need to back up my Contacts (within the default Contacts App), which are extensive.

This is easy. Depending on certain things of coarse. Is your iCloud email setup?

If it is.....connect to a wifi network and go to Settings> iCloud> Contacts

Toggle that on.

Make sure you are connected to wifi for a little bit. 30 minutes are sutten.
e fr
Now every time you restore and setup as new phone (not from backup), your contacts will be in your phone as long as you copse to "Use iCloud" when setting up the phone. Don't restore from iCloud backup either.

Sometimes after restoring...you will not see you contacts in there instantly....(depends what you did first...followed iTunes instructions, then setup phone, or setup the phone, the. Continue setting up in iTunes. I always setup my phone directly after a restore, setup as new device, backup to computer, then when that's do e I go to iTunes and click "setup as new")

Usually all your iCloud backed up data will show up on your phone rite after it finishes syncing with iTunes, rite after iTunes "Downloading Safari Safe Browsing Data".

After that finishes....,you contacts will be in your contact list.

So all ya really have to do is have your iCloud email setup in you phones settings......and make sure that Contacts is always toggled on....that way your contacts are backed up.....and you don't have to take the risk of problems from restoring to an iTunes backup. Can always setup as new. ;)

EWyatt said:
I need to back up my Contacts (within the default Contacts App), which are extensive.

However there are other ways if you don't want to use or make an iCloud email and set it up. But let me know if you want a different way.

Well, you are just mentioning something which is on my mind for a while now. I also don't like Itunes to mess up with my Iphone.
So, the question is, is there a third party alternative software to manage my Iphone.
Heard something like I fun box. Anyone familiar with it?

bbrks said:
Well, you are just mentioning something which is on my mind for a while now. I also don't like Itunes to mess up with my Iphone.
So, the question is, is there a third party alternative software to manage my Iphone.
Heard something like I fun box. Anyone familiar with it?

I use i-FunBox almost every day.

Thaks for that, I guess it is much more simple to use than Itunes, is that right?