What's new

Reinstaling fresh iTunes - lose apps on sync ?

errolgreer

Reaction score
iTunes no longer sees my iPhone 4 since updating to Ver 10.4

I had no problems before the update.

If I uninstall iTunes, download it again and do a fresh install, when I sync to the newly insstalled iTunes will I lose all my apps and data currently on the iPhone, or will the iPhone overwrite iTunes. I have a copy of my last backup file. Should I copy that to users\myname\appdata\roaming\apple computer\mobilesync\backup\ (which is where I found it) BEFORE syncing ?

Please advise

Welcome to the iTunes Haters Club!

I didn't "upgrade" to 10.4 due to negative reports on it. Now, regarding your problem, I would uninstall/reinstall iTunes, open it, then plug in your iPhone, wait a while, and it will find it! Patience. And if there's nothing wrong with your iPhone at the time, the back-up you make will protect you in the future. The back-up you listed above should also be available to you, since uninstalling iTunes shouldn't erase it.

If I'm wrong, site pros, let us know!!!

i would say you shouldnt, but if ou do they will all be saved on your itunes account so you should be able to re download them for free anyway!

iTunes no longer sees my iPhone 4 since updating to Ver 10.4

I had no problems before the update.

If I uninstall iTunes, download it again and do a fresh install, when I sync to the newly insstalled iTunes will I lose all my apps and data currently on the iPhone, or will the iPhone overwrite iTunes. I have a copy of my last backup file. Should I copy that to users\myname\appdata\roaming\apple computer\mobilesync\backup\ (which is where I found it) BEFORE syncing ?

Please advise

iTunes will only keep your personal data on the phone if you sync it to a new iTunes. I'm calling your personal data "contacts, SMS, mms, phone call log" Everything else will be remove from the phone. What you can do if copy your old backup file to the appropriate folder of iTunes and instead of syncing your phone to iTunes, restore your backup to your phone with that new iTunes and after that you can now sync your phone to iTunes without losing any of your apps and files.

Thank you all ! Yes I got everything back after uninstalling then reinstalling. HOWEVER, today, it didn't see my iPhone again. So I repeated the procedure and all is working again. This time I started iTunes BEFORE connection the iPhone. Is this the proper sequence ? Because yesterday I connected the phone BEFORE starting iTunes. Does this cause a problem ? ie does the starting sequence make any difference or can problems occur if iPhone is connected before itunes starts ??

Having you phone plugged in before starting iTunes can sometimes cause it not to show up. I don't know why but it happens to me too. Just unplug it then plug it back in after opening iTunes to get it to show up...

I agree with gaz...., errol... Due to some Windows patches several months ago, the OS doesn't like to auto-run anything like it used to. I also used to just plug my iPhone in, then iTunes would load. No more.

Open iTunes, then plug you iP4 in.