What's new

Something wrong with Wifi

KimMelton

Reaction score
I selected an app yesterday that had to be downloaded through Wifi, so I turned on my Wifi. It shows the Wifi sign on my iPhone for about 5 seconds, then it goes back to 3G (or edge if I have 3G turned off). I have tried restarting my phone, resetting network settings, I've tried entering my Wifi password in again, nothing makes it stay connected. Anyone ever had this problem? The stupid app is just sitting there on my phone and says "loading". If anything I just want to delete the app but I can't since its not downloaded. I used to use my Wifi all the time and now all of a sudden it won't connect longer than 5 seconds. :(

Try a soft-reset. Close all apps then - Hold down the HOME, bottom button, and the SLEEP, top button, for about 10 seconds until the Apple icon appears. Allow it to reboot, it may take a few minutes, don't panic like I did, wait for it to reboot. Cures many weird problems on iOS devices. Also unplug your router, and wifi unit if it is a separate unit, for about 6 min and plug it back in. Sometimes a power glitch will mess with the routers memory and cause it to be unstable.

Last edited:
It didn't work, it still connected for like 5 seconds then went back to 3G on its own....:'(

Try connecting to another wifi if you can. A friends house or free hotspot for example. If it does the same then you know there's a problem with the phone. Of it connects fine then contact your wifi provider...

Are you on iOS 4.2.1? If so, that could be your problem. Many are having problems with wifi and 3g on the iPad with iOS 4.2.1, though I haven't heard of many having problems on the iPhone.

Are you on iOS 4.2.1? If so, that could be your problem. Many are having problems with wifi and 3g on the iPad with iOS 4.2.1, though I haven't heard of many having problems on the iPhone.

Yeah I'm using the new OS. Great.

My first guess it that there is a problem with your router. Try unplugging it and plugging it back in. Can you connect to your wifi with a laptop or other device? As others have said, go to McDonalds or Starbucks or somewhere with free wifi and see if it works there.
Let us know what you find out.