What's new

something is using all my money/credit

gazza2012au

Reaction score
i have a iphone 3GS when i turn on things like internet access and blue tooth etc.. something slowly but continuously eats away at all my credit i only have a couple apps on my phone Navionics,RCspeedo,speedHUD can someone help me out as to why my phone is using all my credit and possibly a fix to my problem?

cheers

Blue tooth isn't going to use your iPhone's data or "credit." So, we can rule that out from the start. How much usage are we talking about?

And how does your wireless company charge credit for data usage? It's safe to assume that you're in a country other than the US... that's why I'm asking.

hi this is the plan im on and once i block Wi-Fi, Bluetooth,Mobile date, all turned off my phone doesnt use my credit

365 day credit expiry
Flexible Credit - Use your included Flexible credit on all the call types listed below
Vodafone to Vodafone Talk – to call other Vodafone mobiles within Australia; can only be accessed once Free Talk minutes have been used up that is calls to other Vodafone mobiles within Australia will first be taken from Free Talk minutes and then from Vodafone to Vodafone Talk minutes)

365 day Pricing
Recharge Amount Flexible Credit Vodafone to Vodafone Talk minutes
$20 $2050
$30 $30150
$50 $50300
$70 $70400
$100 $100650
$150 $150850
Call Rates
Standard National Voice and Video calls$0.89 per 60 seconds with a connection fee of $0.35
Standard and International TXT$0.28 per 160 characters
Standard and International PXT®$0.50 per PXT®
Standard and International Video PXT®$0.75 per PXT®
TXT delivery notifications$0.05 each
Mobile Internet$2 per MB, charged per KB
Special Calls
13, 15 and 1800 numbersstandard call rate applies. For 15 numbers: dependent on service you are calling
Customer Care (1555)Free
Directory Assistance (1223)Standard call rate plus $1.40 connection per call. Standard call rates apply if thru-connected
123 Ask Anything65 cents per 30 seconds plus $1.60 connection fee
Voicemail DepositsFree
Voicemail RetrievalFree retrieval using Ring Alert. Standard call rates apply when dialling 121 to retrieve Voicemail
International Calls and International RoamingVariable charges apply
International Video CallsVariable charges apply
Calls to Optus satellite phones$0.99 per 30 seconds plus 13.2 cent connection fee
Calls to Thuraya Satellite Phones Numbers +88216 numbers - +86466 number ranges$4.95 per minute
calls to Telstra Iridium Satellite phones$5.06 per minute
Calls to Immarsat phonesVariable charges apply
Vodafone CentralFree to browse, variable charges apply for downloads/content

So.... out of the usage charges you listed above. Which is it that is hitting your w/ charges towards your credits?

i just tried checking my usage data it would only show the last 7 days ive had everything blocked for longer than 7 days so i have just enabled everything and i will reply once it starts using my credit again

thanks for the help so far i appreciate it

this is sad my phone has just used $2 of credit in less than 24 hours i called my phone company they said the phone will use internet for updates they said thats normal for the iphones to use your credit so the technical guy walked me thru the process of turning off my internet when not in use and i will need to turn it back on when i need to use the internet :(

What's happening here is... gazza is using a Pay as You go plan w/ his/her iPhone 3GS. And... there is something going on w/ the iPhone at any given time that's nipping little bits of data. Thus using "credits" from the Pay as You go plan. The thing is, you shouldn't have to turn off your cellular data when you're not using it.

A few things to try. Go to Settings>General>About>Diagnostics and Usage. check "Don't send"
Go to Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services (at very bottom of page). Turn everything off.
Settings>General>Cellular>turn off "use Cellular data" for iTunes, Passbook, Reading list

Then I would turn off ALL location services. See if any of these things stop the usage. If so...turn on the location services you use one by one and see if you can find a culprit here.

These are just a few ideas to look at, there are other places you might find data usage. It comes down to examining every part of your settings and trying to turn stuff off and on to see what is using it.

ok i recharged my phone and i turned off all the programs turning on one by one and its the Navionics App that is using my mega bites/credit does anyone know how i can fix this problem i know a way around it but i would like to fix it as i might leave on mobile data and leave the locations/Navionics turned on and it will use my credit

If you leave any type of Navigation app running... it's going to use data. No other way around it.

Not sure if you can do it on the 3GS or not, but double click the HOME button. At the bottom in the Taskbar is everything you have opened, recently or thus far, and some may be constantly running in the background. Hold an app/icon until it starts to wiggle. Now tap the Red "Minus" badge to cancel them from running. Keep it clear from time-to-time to keep apps from running in the background.
If this doesn't stop it from using data then the app just needs to be done away with.