What's new

[SOLVED] Downgrading Woes - iOS6 to 5.0.1/5.1.1

EDIT: Found sn0wbreeze. Making a ipsw now for 5.1.1 . Sn0wbreeze does not update the baseband according to sn0wbreeze so this will be a no-baseband attempt. More to come...

Last edited:
Thanks Bula! I got my phone downgraded and im restoring from my iCloud backup now! :D I will post in the OP post as well.

I used Sn0wbreeze to create the IPSW (instead of redsn0w) and entered Pwned-DFU mode then restored using (windows) itunes. Sn0wbreeze removes any and all Baseband updates from the IPSW; This requires you to be in pwned-DFU mode when restoring.

Technicly my first attempt failed as I forgot to update my itunes and I was forced to use redsnow on my Mac then take the iPhone back over to windows. I don't believe being on windows made a difference for the actual restore process, however Sn0wbreeze is windows only.

Also can a Moderator change my Topic head to have a prefix [Solved]? I don't know if we do that here but I am unable to change it :p. Also Gabi771, lets get you downgraded now yea? Try this and see where you get.

Last edited:
YES ! success ! I can't recall exactly what i did coz i played and messed around quite a lot but it worked. At the beginning i didn't have any shsh blobs backups (i am newbie to iphones but after this experience i am quite advanced) i just went straight to update ios 6 without thinking. In the middle of my "messing" around i managed to get one an shsh blob (with tinyunmbrella) this was after i jailbroke ios 6, the strange thing is i read that after u jailbreak ios 6 u can't manage to salvage any blobs, i ignored that and kept on researching until found a solution.

Anyway...

What i did with snowbreeze was I used the ipsw that previously stitched with redsnow, used the shsh file that i had to resign ipsw and snowbreeze did the rest !

I so glad to be back on jailbreak 5.1.1.

Thanks and bless all who helped out. You have done a very good deed. :)

Sweet! I'm glad to hear that you got downgraded :D! I think we can safely assume redsn0w isn't helpful in the process from 6 to 5.1.1 . Gotta use Sn0wbreeze (windows only). I'm a Mac user and i'm just glad I had a bootcamp setup :p

for some reason I cant download sn0wbreeze from any where I just get an error in chrome that I couldnt connect to the mirror

Great to hear all you guys got it solved using sn0wbreeze.

However, just for clarity and completeness, the guide I provided above for redsn0w does work. I've clarified the instructions a little. I confirmed it again this morning reverting a friends iPhone4 back to 5.1.1 for him from 6.0 :)

I suspect you weren't creating a NO_BB custom firmware first using redsn0w, which is what sn0wbreeze does by default ;)

Here's a vid to follow, for users of redsn0w....I still prefer sn0wbreeze, a bit more straight forward in my opinion...

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect you weren't creating a NO_BB custom firmware first using redsn0w, which is what sn0wbreeze does by default ;)

I personally did make NO_BBs but that didn't seem to do it for me. It could have been a bug for me in OSX's version of redsn0w I am not sure. Either way Sn0wbreeze does work also :p.

Oh I'm also glad everyone is getting downgraded and where they need to be :). Its great news! I don't know about you guys but there is nothing better than finding a thread with the same problem already solved haha.

I think this is not working for iphone 4S and Ipad 3? is it? please let me know because i tried it with iphone 4S but I couldn't. thanks

It does not work for the iPhone 4S and iPad 3.

The 4S, iPad3 and iPhone 5 are classified as A5+ devices, so the A4 jailbreak by Bula WON'T work since it only applies for A4...

My iPhone crashed this morning and when I went to restore it, it if course updated to iOS6.

I'm one of the poor buggers without an SHSH blob for 5.1.1 and I am wondering it is still possible to downgrade to 5.1.1. I have downloaded both redsnow and snowbreeze, and I am looking for directions on how to accomplish this.

Am I screwed and have to wait, or is there a way of getting this done?