What's new

SMS Recipient Appears as Number, NOT Contact Name

mrben2k7

Reaction score
Hi,

Having a strange issue with my iPhone 6 since getting iOS 9. I am currently on the latest 9.3.1 update. The issue I am having, is as:

When I receive SMS messages. They display on the lock screen and in banner, but they do not display the contact name, only the number it is from, so for example instead of showing as from John Smith, it shows as Edited etc. Which is a bit of a crappy user experience.

When I view the message in Messages it shows the contact name John Smith as you would expect. It seems to be limited to the banner, lock screen, notification centre etc.

However... when I receive iMessages or phone calls, it shows the correct contact display name detail as you would expect to see.

I have looked at all settings I can think of, and looked online but can't find the same issue.

Can anyone please assist?

thanks,
Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to iPhone Forums, mrben2k7!

Try the following:
Go to Settings - Phone, and disable Dial Assist. Wait until you get a message, to make sure your lockscreen shows the name, not the number. If it works, enable Dial Assist again, if you prefer using it, and make sure it's still working.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately that didn't resolve the issue.

Any other ideas?

thanks,
Ben

What happens when you remove the international code (0044/+44), and put in a 0 instead?

Hi,

It was already in with 0. I tried changing it to +44 in contact too. No change.

Ben

Disabling Dial Assist without enabling it afterwards could help.

I've found someone else who deleted the conversation with the person where he got the phone number as notification, and it seems that the contact appeared with it's name afterwards.

If nothing helps, try contacting Apple Support, or send them feedback.
Here's the link to send them feedback:
Feedback - iPhone - Apple

No good either sadly. Thank you for your help.

If you think of anything else I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ben

No idea what else could help, except for contacting Apple or your carrier. Sorry!