What's new

Semitethered Jailbreak Beta testing for ios 5

Remember to keep it in perspective guys...

1) it's a bit of a hack, but it works well enough.
2) you should normally NEVER have to use it. It's a safety net. If you properly manage a tethered jailbreak you never need to reboot "unexpectedly".

But on the off chance you do, you are covered... :)

f4780y said:
Remember to keep it in perspective guys...

1) it's a bit of a hack, but it works well enough.
2) you should normally NEVER have to use it. It's a safety net. If you properly manage a tethered jailbreak you never need to reboot "unexpectedly".

But on the off chance you do, you are covered... :)

Thanks for the heads up Leigh!
Don't download anything that makes changes to mobile substrate if your not near a computer correct?
Also... Have you updated to iOS 5 and tethered, or are you still untethered 4.3.3 or 4.2.8 like me? Lmao! 8)

The two main apps which force a reboot are Winterboard and Mobile Substrate.

So, best thing is to install both of those first, reboot tethered, and you should be good to go. You may also need to reboot if you use some of the tethering apps. So again, get those out of the way on the first night and that's about it... You should not have to worry about a reboot away from your PC again...

Other tweaks that use Mobile Substrate are absolutely fine. They only require a respring, and you can respring to your hearts content on a tethered jailbreak!

The only other thing worth mentioning is we are expecting a Mobile Substrate update from Saurik very soon. So that will probably force a reboot if you update it...

Last edited:
ok anybody download the semi tethered and is it working for you, i just had mine freeze and it rebooted but stuck on the circle in the middle of the screen!! just wondering if anybody had this or any problems

f4780y said:
The two main apps which force a reboot are Winterboard and Mobile Substrate.

So, best thing is to install both of those first, reboot tethered, and you should be good to go. You may also need to reboot if you use some of the tethering apps. So again, get those out of the way on the first night and that's about it... You should not have to worry about a reboot away from your PC again...

Other tweaks that use Mobile Substrate are absolutely fine. They only require a respring, and you can respring to your hearts content on a tethered jailbreak!

The only other thing worth mentioning is we are expecting a Mobile Substrate update from Saurik very soon. So that will probably force a reboot if you update it...

Thanks for all the suggestion/help Leigh. I been trying to hold off and see if Saurik come with the update that they mention because from what I was reading it will just make it even better but we will :)

Thanks again!

Ok guys, I did the tethered and then semi-tethered JB. All is good right now thanks to all the help and posts here.

One question, I saw a post the other day where someone listed all the apps that are working with this jailbreak but cannot for the life of me find it. I tried searches to no avail. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks for all your help, it is much appreciated.

Barrie

Directly from the bigboss website!

Big update to semitethered jailbreak today. v0.9.1 incorporates Saurik’s new mobile substrate. Thanks to Saurik, we are entirely rid of all the daemon patching – this means there’s no more daemon patching or restarting. Most the semi-tether work is now done by mobile substrate. The semitether package from the repository now protects your iOS 5 notification center plugins and gives you the option to patch mobile safari so that it will work on the non-jailbreak reboot mode. I’m still looking into patching mail, if possible.

Summary of changes:
1) Much more stable with new mobile substrate
2) Can patch safari so it works in the non-jailbreak reboot mode
3) App to monitor the status of your semitether and reapply. Check after cydia installs.

This new version will definitely solve all the flakiness problems we had in the past. However, be aware that this is a total rewrite of mobile substrate. Until this appears in a community source, you are beta testing so installing it is entirely at your own risk. As always, please report issues via email.

Also, with an update from MyWi author and Appsync team, we should be compatible with those, too.

I updated from the tethered jailbreak to the semi-tethered jailbreak last night. It works pretty flawlessly.

From Cydia go to Manage Sources and add the following URL to find the semi-tethered patch: thebigboss.org/semitether

Install it and respring your device. NOTE: When I first did this and powered off and powered back on my phone it hung on the Apple logo just like when it is tethered only. I read to alleviate that problem you need to respring from the Cydia screen after you install semitether and then respring it again through another app such as SBsettings or Winterboard.

When you reset it in semitethered mode, you have all access to the phone, contacts, texts, e-mail, and safari. I did multiple send/receives to make sure it functioned correctly.

It's a pretty good hold-over until untethered is released.

I'm on 4.2.10 right now with a tethered JB. Since I am used to being tethered, should I just upgrade to iOS5? Does anyone have this on their Verizon phone? I thought I read somewhere that this was tested on a GSM iPhone, and since I'm on Verizon, I have a CDMA, right? Does Dreamboard work ok with this JB?

I'm on 4.2.10 right now with a tethered JB. Since I am used to being tethered, should I just upgrade to iOS5? Does anyone have this on their Verizon phone? I thought I read somewhere that this was tested on a GSM iPhone, and since I'm on Verizon, I have a CDMA, right? Does Dreamboard work ok with this JB?

I had been running iOS5 JB on verizon with the semitether with no problem. I dont use Dreamboard however it is on the google docs file and say that it will work.

Here is the link again.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...0idHJRSk51NW9KUjJabTZVcTNZekVqSmc&pli=1#gid=0