What's new

Sell the iPhone 4?

grandnexus

Reaction score
I just bought an iPhone 4 and renewed my contract with AT&T. I've been with them since late 2008 when I got a iPhone 3g. I still have my 3G and it works fine for me.

I got my iPhone 4 but haven't even turned it on yet or anything, I'm wondering if I should just sell it on craigslist?

Is this possible? Are there any steps I need to take in order to do this? Is the phone attached to my account somehow through the SIM card (I haven't activated it yet).

I was looking on craigslist last night and notice the phones going anywhere from 800-1200 dollars.. I wouldn't pay that much for it, but to each their own.

I checked ebay last night and the going rate for the new iphone 4 was around $1000. It might not be such a bad idea to sell the new iphone and get another one without contract which still nets you about $400.

Right, but isn't the SIM in the iphone 4 tied to your account/number somehow?

I mean, I haven't turned the phone on nor have I called AT&T to activate the phone.

But I did go to an AT&T store and pre-order my phone and it renewed my AT&T contract and all that good stuff. I thought the iPhone 4 I have now is tied to my account via the micro sim card? I thought I had to deactivate the SIM card or whatever, or change it out somehow?

Any insight?

someone could buy it and pop in their own sim card.. right?

I mean, I haven't turned the phone on nor have I called AT&T to activate the phone.

But I did go to an AT&T store and pre-order my phone and it renewed my AT&T contract and all that good stuff. I thought the iPhone 4 I have now is tied to my account via the micro sim card? I thought I had to deactivate the SIM card or whatever, or change it out somehow?

Any insight?

Obviously, you wanna take out your sim card before selling it. That sim card can be used on the new iphone that you may buy or get a micro sim-to-sim adapter and use it on the previous gen iphones. I just confirmed it yesterday on my old iphone 3G and it works just fine.

People will buy the iphone 4 without a sim? How do I take the SIM out, the hole doesn't look big enough for a paperclip, do I need a special tool?

Just make sure you are ejecting the sim on the side... Not the top because that is the second mic. Just use a small paperclip be gentle but firm I think the iPhone 4 sim tray takes just a bit more pressure to remove.

People will buy the iphone 4 without a sim? How do I take the SIM out, the hole doesn't look big enough for a paperclip, do I need a special tool?

Your sim card is of no use to them so they don't need it. Once they get the phone, they can call their carrier and ask for a sim card under their number. Most carriers will do this for free if you ask.

As for the hole, any sharp object will do. I used to use a paper clip to remove the sim tray out of my 3G and I believe it will work on the new iphone as well.

Any insight?
Can you still use your old 3G? I.E. make calls, texts, etc. If so then you old sim hasn't been turned off which is how you know the new sim in the iPhone 4 has been activated and tied to your account.

What I don't understand is why you'd want to sign another contract with AT&T and not at least get to use the new phone. Your account will be charged the same amount. And don't forget- If you don't activate it in a certain period of time you will be charged the full amount for the phone, so if you do sell it, make sure you at least get that much for the phone since you'll have to account for the difference. Also, remove the sim that came with the new phone as advised by another commentator, it's the sim that is tied to your account.