What's new

Saving Icon position through a restore and rejailbreak?

pianoman

Reaction score
Is there a Cydia app/tweak that can save Icon positioning THRU a restore and re-jailbreak? Icon placement takes hours over many days. And since iTunes backup won't remember icon positions of Cydia apps - that's useless. I'm hoping there's a way to save the application folder for BackBoard by Wynd. It's barely been working well in 5.0.1 - and I hope it lives through the 5.1 jailbreak. It will remember icon position but I'm not sure whether my saved set
ups in BackBoard are saved within the /mobile/applications/BackBoard folder or somewhere else. Any help would be appreciated.

pianoman said:
Is there a Cydia app/tweak that can save Icon positioning THRU a restore and re-jailbreak? Icon placement takes hours over many days. And since iTunes backup won't remember icon positions of Cydia apps - that's useless. I'm hoping there's a way to save the application folder for BackBoard by Wynd. It's barely been working well in 5.0.1 - and I hope it lives through the 5.1 jailbreak. It will remember icon position but I'm not sure whether my saved set
ups in BackBoard are saved within the /mobile/applications/BackBoard folder or somewhere else. Any help would be appreciated.

Yea there is...Springtimize 2,....but if you used that option you would have to restore from a backup...and for a fresh new genre of jailbreak tools for a fresh new iOS....I think it would personally be more of a hassle to restore from a backup, then it would to start from scratch.

However..I know of a way to use Springtomize to backup icon layout for use after a restore *without* having to restore from a backup.

Simply save the .plist files and put them back after restore and jailbreak.

(These steps are assuming the jailbreak out)

1:: install Springtomize 2

2: use the backup option to backup your icon layout.

3: while your at it...setup all the preferred settings with Springtomize of you choose to do so.

3: SSH to var/mobile/library/preference

Locate and copy "All" Springtomize .plist files to computer. (since I don't know exactly which one would hold the icon layout..tho it might give that clue in the name of the .plist...this guide is open to interpretation.lol)

4: restore to 5.1.1, setup as new device, sync apps and music, and tones, etc.

5: jailbreak with the new 5.1.1 jailbreak tool of your choice.

5: install Springtomize 2 again.

6: simply SSH back into var/mobile/library/preferences, and delete anything Springtomize related, then drag and drop all your Springtomize .plist files into the DIR.

Respring, open Springtomize then open the Time Machine tab, and tap the Restore Settings button.

There...a way to backup your icon layout (and Springtomize settings:)) without having to restore from a backup.

Hope that helps.

Yea there is...Springtimize 2,....but if you used that option you would have to restore from a backup...and for a fresh new genre of jailbreak tools for a fresh new iOS....I think it would personally be more of a hassle to restore from a backup, then it would to start from scratch.

However..I know of a way to use Springtomize to backup icon layout for use after a restore *without* having to restore from a backup.

Simply save the .plist files and put them back after restore and jailbreak.

(These steps are assuming the jailbreak out)

1:: install Springtomize 2

2: use the backup option to backup your icon layout.

3: while your at it...setup all the preferred settings with Springtomize of you choose to do so.

3: SSH to var/mobile/library/preference

Locate and copy "All" Springtomize .plist files to computer. (since I don't know exactly which one would hold the icon layout..tho it might give that clue in the name of the .plist...this guide is open to interpretation.lol)

4: restore to 5.1.1, setup as new device, sync apps and music, and tones, etc.

5: jailbreak with the new 5.1.1 jailbreak tool of your choice.

5: install Springtomize 2 again.

6: simply SSH back into var/mobile/library/preferences, and delete anything Springtomize related, then drag and drop all your Springtomize .plist files into the DIR.

Respring, open Springtomize then open the Time Machine tab, and tap the Restore Settings button.

There...a way to backup your icon layout (and Springtomize settings:)) without having to restore from a backup.

Hope that helps.
Hugely helpful, Zig! Thanks! Do you think the same "concept" would work with BackBoard? Are preferences for all apps saved in the same prefs folder of Library?

pianoman said:
Hugely helpful, Zig! Thanks! Do you think the same "concept" would work with BackBoard? Are preferences for all apps saved in the same prefs folder of Library?

Not "all" tweaks have there preferences in that DIR but 99% of them do.

Its really as easy as opening iFile and searching the tweaks name in that DIR.

I thought BackBoard was like way outdated? Idk.lol.

Since what BackBoard basically does IS save plist configuration ...I would imagine you could just use BackBoards .plist and just use that instead of Springtomize.

I for one would just rather backup settings manually,..that way I know exactly what is being backed up, because I did it manually myself...I just don't trust backup software. I just screw with my phone way too much to just use some tweak to backup all different kinds of things and I don't know "exactly" what it's backing up...backups can be dangerous within themselves.

Last edited: